Monday, November 7, 2011

NaNoWriMo - Well, Not Exactly!

It's November, and as many an author can tell you, November is National Novel Writing Month, or "NaNoWriMo" for short. NaNoWriMo is a challenge, a movement, a community, and more. You can read about its history in Wikipedia, but basically, when you participate in NaNoWriMo, you make an attempt to write at least 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1st and November 30th.

You're allowed to plan, working on characters, plot and so on, before the start of November, and of course you're allowed (expected) to spend time after November revising and polishing the book. During November, you just write. The objective is to force you to produce, to write on a regular basis, and to avoid the trap of working and reworking the same prose, over and over, rather than making progress toward completing your work.

Lots of my writer friends are "doing NaNo" this year. I feel a bit left out. However, I know better than to sign on to NaNoWriMo myself. I could do it - that's less than 2000 words per day, and I can easily produce 3-4K on the days I write. The problem is I can't write every day. There are too many other things going on in my life that I have to attend to. If I committed to NaNo, though, I'd force myself, thereby doing violence to both my peace of mind and my relationship with my husband (who respects my writing but also views it as less important than making a serious living).

I have made a NaNo commitment to myself, though. During November, I'm going to finish the first draft of my M/M speculative fiction erotic romance Quarantine. I've been working on this book for more than a year. The trouble is, I haven't been working steadily. There have been whole months when I haven't written a word because I had to give other writing projects priority. Well, this month, I'm going to clear that guilt away!

I have, I estimate, about 20K left to go. I wrote 4K yesterday. If I could do that every day...

I'm not going to dwell on my failures! Today I had other matters I had to deal with. I'll go back to it tomorrow...

Meanwhile, I hope that making my commitment public will help me to fulfill it. Because I know I have readers waiting for this book. All I need to do is get it done!

1 comment:

widdershins said...

I'm not doing NaNo either. I do have a commitment to write 1,000 words a day, for 4 months though ... must get Book 2 of my series out ASAP - and this gives me a workable goal with wiggle room.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)