Monday, November 21, 2011

Everyday Miracles

I talked on the phone yesterday with my brother and my sister. Now, that might not seem like news, except for the fact that my sister lives in California, my brother's in Massachusetts, and I'm located in Southeast Asia. Furthermore, because of Skype, the hour-long call didn't cost us a nickel.

It was my little brother's birthday, and we'd arranged the call so we could personally convey our celebratory wishes. Let me tell you, when you have to coordinate a conference call across three time zones, it takes a bit of work! The effort was more than worthwhile, though. It was so wonderful to chat with them both; honestly it felt like we were all in the same room, something that hasn't happened for two or three years at least.

Afterwards, I felt a glow that lasted all day. And I started thinking about how amazing it is, that we can do this. Honestly, it's a kind of miracle. That realization pushed me further, toward a recognition that every day, I experience these incredible gifts - some due to technology, some not, but all worth acknowledging.

It's just too easy to take things for granted. My husband's blood pressure medication, that so effectively guards him from the dangers of a stroke. The hip surgery that I had last year, which stripped at least five years off the age that I feel. My wonderful job, which offers both freedom and challenge simultaneously. The ability to write (when I can find the time) and be published, to share my visions with the world (or at least a small segment thereof ;^) ). Broadband Internet so I can keep in touch with my far flung friends and family. (I lived for years with 32 Kbaud dial-up!)

Everywhere I look, I see these miracles. I was going to write "little miracles", but you know, there's no such thing. A smile from a stranger is just as much of a gift as an unexpected tax refund.

Today, I'm going to try keeping my eyes open, to make sure I notice all the everyday miracles. Maybe you can, too.

1 comment:

Debby said...

It is amazing what you can do with modern technology. What a wonderful birthday present!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)