Wednesday, June 23, 2021

People love whom they love – #PrideMonth #LGBTQ #EroticRomance

Every love deserves respect

Image by SatyaPrem from Pixabay

By Fiona McGier (Guest Blogger)

Hi Lisabet, I'm thrilled to be here during your June LGBT celebration! While I haven't written any books that are all LGBT, there is a gay couple who fall in love in When a Wolf Howls. Their relationship continues in the sequel, Worth the Wait.

I write contemporary romance, with the occasional paranormal. Both my vampire saga, and my two werewolf books first appeared to me in dreams. But as the story unfolded from my fingertips into the laptop, as usual, I was surprised and delighted by the characters who emerged, and the relationships that developed.

I have a close cousin who is gay. We've decided that we're two sides of the same coin--we're very similar in temperament and world-views. Since he's gotten flack for coming out from his immediate family, as well as from extended relatives of ours, when I first invited him over to my house many years ago, after he moved back here from California, he was hesitant about what my husband might think about exposing our four kids to him. I told him he was being silly--after all, the man's married to me, so he knows how I think about many issues, not the least of which is people love whom they love, and it's no one else's business. So when he got to our house, I ushered him inside and he chatted with me in the kitchen while I cooked our Busia's (grandmother's) Golabki (pronounced gwumpki--Polish cabbage rolls served with mashed potatoes.) The kids were all off doing their own things--they were in middle school and high school, so lurking in their rooms all the time was the norm.

When I yelled that dinner was ready, the starving hordes rushed to the kitchen. I smiled at my cousin and introduced him to our kids by naming them, then describing them--this one's the oldest son, this is the second son, this is the third son, and this is our daughter--the baby. Since my cousin was the baby of four kids, he gave her a special smile. She smirked at him in return--they hit it off right away. Then I announced, "Kids, this is Reed, my cousin. He's gay. Let's eat." And we did. Afterward, my cousin thanked me for having him here to eat a specialty he hadn't had since his mother passed on when he was in high school. And he was touched by how my family accepted him completely. I hugged him and told him that's what he should expect from everyone--but especially from family.

Years later, my kids tease me that I must be disappointed that none of them are gay, since I always said I'd be one of those mom's wearing a tee shirt proclaiming my love for my gay child, while I marched in the Pride Parade held in downtown Chicago every year. I told them while they were still young that no matter who they turn out to be, they will always be loved by me.

In my first Northwest Maine Academy novel, When a Wolf Howls, Saoirse is depressed because she's been unable to find a job in Boston. Her bestie from grade school, a Black gay man named Freddie, is letting her crash at his place. She got her masters degree in biological research, but with a redhead's temper, she doesn't take easily to being told to fudge lab results to prove whatever the client is paying the lab to prove. Freddie tries to cheer her up by suggesting where she should apply. He finds a listing for a Biology teacher at a private high school up in Maine. He buys her ticket to the interview as a birthday present for her, and when she gets the job, they celebrate.

But the Northwest Maine Academy exists to give a safe place for teenagers to be in school, when their parents fear they might have a wolf living inside of them, gathering strength to present itself. Diego, the principal, is a werewolf, and his wolf tells him Saoirse is their mate. When she discovers the truth, she has a hard time accepting that the mythological is sometimes based on reality. When she and Diego get married, they do so in Boston. Freddie, as the Man of Honor, throws the celebration together, including hosting an epic bachelorette party. But when he meets the man he's going to be standing up to the wedding with, his world changes forever.

 



This is the morning after the epic weekend-long bachelorette party.

The next morning Saoirse's family started to check into the two hotels that had offered group rates... Saoirse checked into the Honeymoon Suite. She and Freddie checked out all of the amenities, laughing at the size of the California King four-poster bed. Freddie nicknamed it the gymnasium, while making suggestions for how to indulge in some light bondage using neck ties. Suddenly the door opened and Diego called out, "Where's my woman?"

Saoirse ran over to him and she jumped into his arms, wrapping her legs around him. He held her ass with both hands as they kissed as if they'd been separated for years, both completely oblivious that they were being watched.

Freddie shook his head, grinning at their display, before turning to talk to the man who had followed Diego into the room. Suddenly Freddie felt like all of the air had been sucked out of the room, and he stopped breathing, to stare open-mouthed at the most gorgeous man he had ever seen.

John approached him with a casual smile, extending his hand for a shake.

"Hi, I'm John Johnson, the best man."

Freddie held out his hand, while trying to stop his arm from shaking. When their palms met, John looked into his eyes sharply, in surprise, while Freddie felt the tingle race through his whole body, to end up centered in his groin, making his jeans suddenly way too tight.

"I'll say you are," he stammered, blushing as he recovered himself quickly." I mean--hello, I'm Freddie Landon. I'm the maid--I mean--man of honor."

"So you're Saoirse's best friend from back when you were little kids?"

He nodded. "Yup." And you're the man she told me was closeted so tightly the door had never been opened? Sam, we're not even any more. I owe you big time for this gorgeous man that I'm going to seduce as quickly as possible!

Freddie waved at the wedding couple, saying, "Maybe we should give them a little privacy?"

John glanced at them and nodded.

Both men made for the door, and Freddie announced as they passed, "You guys really need to come up for air or you're going to pass out from lack of oxygen. John and I are heading down to the bar in the lobby.You can meet us down there when you're--um--done."

(Later that night)

"Freddie, you've done a marvelous job!" Saoirse hugged him fiercely.

"Sam, nothing is too good for you, my sweetie," he grinned at her.

"But you set all of this up by yourself. I have the greatest-bestie that anyone could ever have. And you've been the best man of honor. I don't know how to thank you for all you've done."

Freddie glanced over at John, who was sitting next to Diego, chatting with Saoirse's parents.

"Oh, I think you've taken care of that just fine," he replied.

She looked where his eyes were and grinned, "Yeah, he is your type, isn't he?"

He nodded, "But you're right about him being wound tight. I know he's interested, but I'm trying to figure out how to seduce him."

"Just be careful, please. He's Diego's second--um--best friend. And he's a close friend of mine also. I don't want him to be hurt."

Freddie's eyebrows rose. "I don't plan on hurting him--unless he asks me to."

"Ha, ha."

"No, really. And I don't plan on doing anything that will spoil your joyous occasion."

She sighed heavily. "Fine. Just try to remember what your first time was like, and don't push him into anything he's not ready for."

"Honey, my first time was so long ago I can't even remember what that was like."

She stuck her tongue out at him.

Diego now looked around and beckoned for Saoirse to join him. John got up and headed toward the bathroom. Freddie sat quietly until he returned, then he waved for John to join him at his small table.

As John sat down, the waitress put two drinks on the table, and Freddie paid her for them both.

"How did you know what I'm drinking?" John asked.

"I've been watching you all evening," Freddie replied, careful to keep his voice casual.

"Why?"

Freddie leaned closer, as John took a sip from his drink.

"Because I know you felt the electric shock when we shook hands, just as much as I did."

John met his gaze steadily. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Freddie took a deep breath. "You're a gorgeous man, John. I'm very attracted to you. Normally I'd invite you back to my place, but you have a hotel room right upstairs. What say we bring our drinks with us, and go find a more private place to talk?"

"Are we going to do more than talk?"

Freddie looked deeply into his dark brown eyes and almost swooned.

"That depends on you, John."

John looked around slowly, before meeting Freddie's eyes, with his pupils so enlarged with excitement, the color was almost not visible anymore.

"Let's go."

Freddie had to resist the urge to jump up and pump his arm in celebration. Instead, he picked up his drink and followed John out of the bar.

* * * *

Find out more about these men, and the others who live at the Northwest Maine Academy by reading When a Wolf Howls. The sequel, Worth the Wait, continues the romances of Saoirse and Diego, as well as Freddie and John. There are also two more couple who find their bliss---so there are four romances.

Buy link for When a Wolf Howls-- https://books2read.com/u/4Eow6z

Find out more at my website: www.fionamcgier.com

About Me

I sub in high schools during the school year. Otherwise I'm writing and blogging about my books--and reading and writing reviews. Not only do I write erotic romance, I love to read it too. I often read while camping with my long-time HEA. Our four adult kids sometimes join us. I'm an avid Jazzerciser, and I love to hike in the woods. I also enjoy sewing--mostly masks these days-- crocheting afghans to keep my loved ones warm, and baking--cookies, muffins, and especially pies. I'm known for my never-fail pie crust, so I put the recipe on my website under the pies tab, along with some of my family's favorites, that I featured in one of my books that had a heroine who baked lots of pies.

 

Remember, every blog comment during June counts as an entry in my Pride Month giveaway!

3 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Fiona,

Thanks for visiting my blog. That's a great story about your cousin. It's so sad that LGBTQ people have been demonized as "dangerous to kids". I don't know if you've been following the latest conservative laws in eastern Europe (Poland and Hungary, especially) that basically criminalize depiction of non-straight relationships. Sigh. One step forward, one step back.

Fiona McGier said...

One step forward, sometimes 2 steps back--but it has always been thus, Lisabet. The winds of change blow back and forth. For every little improvement, you get those who are in terror at the change from their world-view, and they start a back-lash that hurts other people--never them.

My husband says today's young folks will change things, because to them, inter-racial and gay romances are both no big deal. But I remember back in the late '60's and '70's, when Peace and Love were all the rage, and the cliche was "Make love not war." What happened to all of those hippie flower-children? They got old and conservative. I wish I could introduce them to their younger selves--so they could see the optimism and sense of wonder they lost somewhere along the way.

bn100 said...

nice scenes

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)