Sunday, January 31, 2010

Welcome to My Birthday Party!

Today is my fifty seventh birthday. In real life, I'm off for the weekend with my DH, enjoying a bit of relaxation by the sea, a modest little getaway. However, what I'd really like to do is throw a huge party for all my friends and celebrate in style.

What's my idea of the perfect party? Well, it should involve costumes—I love getting dressed up!—and dancing. Delicious food and drink are a must, of course, and I usually like to have a theme, ideally something a bit spicy. When I was younger, I organized a number of memorable bashes including a Jet Set Party (to celebrate our leaving for a job in Asia), a Hotel California Party (which lasted all night, starting with pink champagne on ice and ending at dawn with Tequila Sunrises), and of course the Coed Stag Party my husband and I threw the night before our wedding, with naughty party favors and belly dancing.

There's one party I never had the chance to organize, though. In the next town over from where we used to live, there is a historic movie theater called the Academy of Music. It was originally built as a live theater back in the Victorian era and has been beautifully preserved. With its burgundy velvet curtains, carved and gilded balconies and crystal chandeliers, it evokes a earlier time of grace and elegance. The Edward Hopper painting above captures the feeling very well.

I've always fantasized about renting the place for a party—a cinema costume ball. I'd invite my friends from all over the world (in my fantasy world, I have plenty of money to pay for their transportation). Each guest would be required to come dressed either as a favorite actor/actress or as a movie character. We'd serve champagne chilled in silver ice buckets and smoked salmon canapés. I'd put a band on the stage, playing my favorite classic rock. I'd dance with every guy at the party—it's my birthday, after all!

The guests' costumes would be magnificent. There'd be Errol Flynn and Sherlock Holmes, Scarlett O'Hara and Dorothy of Oz, King Kong and Faye Wray, Jack Sparrow and Yoda. As for me, I'd come dressed as classic screen siren Mae West. I think I could pull it off. I've got the right build for it—far more curvy than is fashionable these days. I even have a sparkling pink lamé gown with a plunging neckline that used to be my mother's. All I'd need is a platinum wig and the attitude.

I wanted to do this for my fiftieth birthday, but that was in the middle of the last recession and it just wasn't feasible. (Probably wouldn't have been anyway...!) So—being an author who spins fantasies—I've decided to go ahead and do it this year...at least in the cybersphere. And you're all invited!

I'm giving away a “door prize”, a print copy of my first novel Raw Silk. All you have to do is comment and tell me about your costume. If you came to my masque du cinema, who would you be, and why?

I'll randomly pick one commenter as my winner. But I hope that you all have a fabulous time!

20 comments:

booklover0226 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a wonderful special day.

I would come as Cleopatra. I love things associated with ancient Egypt. Plus, "Cleo" was on tough cookie...until she fell in love! LOL

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 AT gmail DOT com

Word Actress said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lisabet. If I knew how to Skype I would sing Happy Birthday to you, Marilyn Monroe style! Let's see, who would I be - hmmmm - I know everyone is on her case these days, but I would love to be Angelina Jolie (for a day). The woman fascinates me. People forget how young she is - I think only early 30's, and yet she has the persona of someone much older and much wiser, someone who's been around before. As Angelina, I would wear a tight fitting, long black halter gown (sans underwear) with black stilettos. My only accessory would be blood red lipstick. I thought about chandelier earrings, but said, no, Angelina doesn't need that. The lipstick is enough...Again, happy day, Lisabet...Mary Kennedy Eastham

Tamsyn said...

Happy Birthday Lisabet! And many happy returns of the day. And thank you for the invitation to your masque du cinema. I would be Catherine Zeta-Jones. I love her in the Zorro films.

Have a great day!
Tamsyn
tamsyn5@yahoo.com

Valerie said...

Hi and happy birthday to another Aquarian!!!

Oh, if I were to come to your party, I'd dress up as Mae West. I LOVED that woman. She was so sensual, funny and a REAL woman. I would love to say to a handsome man....six foot, seven inches. Forget about the six feet, lets talk about the seven inches.....haha!!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com
in Germany

susan said...

When I come to your party I will be dressed as Marilyn Monroe so please try and keep the floor vents closed so my dress stays down..if it doesn't I will handle the situation as only I know how..and maybe that will be a trade mark of mine some day. I love birthday parties..well..any party for that matter. I will wish you a very Happy Birthday and will see you get tons of beautiful flowers because you are so sweet and deserve the best. How about a dimond necklace hidden among the flowers to spark your day. All ladies love dimonds you know. A start of your party begins now as I sweep down the winding stair case singing..HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LISABETH....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. susan L.

susan said...

I forgot to add..my birthday was the 4th so we share a month of a birthday celebration together. susan L.

orelukjp0 said...

Happy Birthday Lisabet.

I would come as Jean Harlowe (Harlean Harlow Carpenter). Many reasons. She died way to young. Only 26 and married at 16. So I would give her a little more life by being she. Harlowe worked with The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and so many funny actors that she was know as the laughing vamp. Also my brother's middle name (family name in every generation) is Harlow.

Unknown said...

Happy Happy, Birthday! May your romantic evening celebration with your husband fuel your fingers to write more, more, more! Hmmm...who should I pick to come as to your party? I think I would come as the mythical Scarlett O'Hara who spoke her mind no matter what the consequences!

Laura K
lkubitz60609@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I think I would come as Greta Garbo. Sexual, liberated, and FABULOUS!

Phyllis Campbell said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you have had some great parties already. I'm jealous! I want to come to your dancing party...but do I have to bring my hubby? He doesn't dance. (pouts) So I'll have to find another man who can dance. (grins)

I have no clue what my masquerade costume will be. I know I want to be someone sexy - like the mentioned women in history above. Unfortunately, as much as I want to wear Scarlett O'Hara's sexy gowns (because I ADORE that time period and their beautiful gowns), my body would just not look good in something that is made for a size 3 dress. So...instead of coming as Scarlet, I'll come as her maid - Mamie. Yeah, that woman's servant dress would fit my large body a mite better...and be more comfortable, too. After all, if I'm going to dance, I don't want everything on my body shaking so bad it causes your house to crumble... lol

~Phyllis~

Unknown said...

I'd come as Scarlet, Phyllis, but I'd select the costume Carol Burnett wore. It would suit me much better. *lol* What a fun idea, Lisabet. My birthdays are always the same. Dinner out then back home with realize I've overeaten and turned another year older. How exciting is that? I'd like you to be my party planner.

Jennifer Mathis said...

Happy Birthday! I'm coming as Julie Roberts in Pretty woman In the dress for the opera. Y cause that dress was just hot lol

rm2h said...

I would like to be Ginger Rogers with a dummy of Fred Astaire attached so we could dance like them.

Debby said...

Happy Birthday to another one born in January. Mine was the 20th. To your party I would come as the Glenda the good witch. I would rather be the bad witch but everyone one looks so nice.
debby236 at att dot net

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lisabet! Please don't enter me in your contest, but I did want to stop by and say hope your day is special.

Everyone has had great costume suggestions! I have no idea what I'd wear, but the Carol Burnett/Scarlett costume sounds like a lot of fun.

Take care!

Witchy Woman said...

Happy Birthday Lisabet,
(air kisses) I've always loved Bette Davis, she was something else in my opinion. So, I've covered my bottle-red hair with a light brown wig, and I'm wearing a classic black ankle length dress with matching black gloves. I'm also wearing a shocking candy apple red lipstick. Can your waiter bring me a glass of white wine please? Thank you, darling!

Witchy Woman

Lisa said...

Just stop by to wish you a happy birthday and hope you are having a good one. Happy Birthday!
Hugs!
Lisa

Emerald said...

Happy birthday Lisabet! I love dancing and dressing up too--in fact they may be two of my favorite things, haha.

I would probably come as Viola De Lesseps of Shakespeare in Love. It's one of my favorite movies, and what a fun wardrobe to emulate. :) (Would also definitely call for a wig!)

Happy celebrations and always to you!

SiNn said...

Happy Birthday Lisabet! Im not a good dancer but what girl doenst wanna play dress up id come as a midevil dancer with the corests and the flowing gown dark to match my red hair of course with the bone bodices and the pretty mask because well whats fun in dressin up if everyone knows who you are


I hope you had a wonderful fun birthday hun

Lisabet Sarai said...

Thanks to all for your good wishes and your great comments!

My party winner is Nedma1 -- please email me at lisabet [at] lisabetsarai.com so I can get your details for the prize.

But don't stop partying now! I'd sure love to see those costumes!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)