Tuesday, March 17, 2020

No Review Tuesday! #Books #ReviewTuesday #AmReading



I just can’t keep up....

I really like to do one review per week; I normally finish more than one book during that period. However, I’ve been so busy with real-world work I just haven’t had the time to write a review for this week. Indeed, I've hardly had time to breathe.

At the moment, I have a bunch of titles stacked up for reviews. Here’s a quick list – but this week, at least, I can’t give you an actual review.

Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver

Meticulously structured, warmly imagined, politically trenchant novel about two families living in the same house, a hundred years apart. Some things don’t change...

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

Desperate unrequited romance, with a touch of the Gothic. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were early favorites of mine, but somehow I had never read anything by the third Bronte sister, until now.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Dark, totally original fantasy. Supposedly this is a young adult novel, but it’s intelligent enough and creepy enough for us grown-ups.

Meanwhile, I am currently reading:

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

Harrowing semi-autobiographical tale about growing up Jewish in post-Revolution Iran.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

Science fiction awash in ideas.

The Flying Troutmans by Mirian Toews 

Quirky, funny and tragic tale of a peculiar family.

... 

I think there might be more, but I’m feeling too scattered to recall.

Maybe I’ll manage a review next week. Do you have a preference?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)