Friday, July 12, 2019

It’s Complicated - #Sexuality #Awakening #Poem

Bridal gown
Image by StockSnap from Pixabay


During my third year in graduate school, I blossomed sexually. Or to put it more crassly, I started to sleep around. The shy, studious mouse I’d been up to that point burst from her chrysalis (inflicting severe violence on a metaphor) to become a gorgeous butterfly, flitting from flower to flower.

I realize now that hormones contributed to this explosion of sexuality. I was in my mid-twenties. My body was trying like crazy to procreate. (Fortunately, modern contraceptive technology thwarted this biological imperative.) At the time, though, the experience felt like magic, a kind of liberation from my past self-image as nerdy, socially awkward and unappealing. All at once, it seemed, I was desirable. Potential lovers were everywhere. I could indulge myself. If I wanted someone, I could act on that desire. If someone wanted me, I could say yes, without hesitation or guilt.

Was I over-sexed? I reject the judgmental tone of that question. Looking back at those years, I feel a bit embarrassed, realizing how slutty I must have seemed to anyone observing me, but indulgent. I was learning, growing, changing—and having a marvelous time, for the most part. Isn’t that what youth is for?

I wasn’t just scratching a physical itch. This wasn’t primarily about getting off. My lovers weren’t faceless, interchangeable bodies. I wrote page after page in my journal after each encounter, poem after poem.

Here’s one of them, a particularly detailed explication of one day in my sex-drenched life. It’s not a very good poem at all—starts out well, but degenerates into adolescent hyperbole by the end—but I’m offering it as a historical document, not as a literary effort.

six-sixteen-seventy-nine

by Lisabet Sarai

1. greg
   
   and when you,
   firm, assured, proud,
   began your vows
   a summer cloud
   misted my view
   and I couldn't help
   recalling you
   between my legs.
       but the spicy tears
    and the hungering lump
    in my throat passed
    and I let you go
    (will you ever know?)
   I came to your wedding
   dressed like a bride
   in starched summer white
   and with pity and pride
   took both your hands,
   wished you the best,
   felt myself blest
   by your chaste kiss.

2. matt
  
   curiosity
   and champagne...
   excuses. 
   I chose
   to follow my hormones
   to your motel
   knowing full well
   your precocious mind. 
    another adventure
 in technicolor,
 in sun-burnished flesh,
 in salty moans,
  hunger, humor...
 stranger,
 strange but sweet
 it was
 if not for this 
 icy torrent of voices
 (which one my own?)
 drowning the moment.

   in your nineteen years
   have you known regret?
   and why should I wonder?

3. bob

   yes, yes!
   so totally right for the time,
   my fantasy 
   flourishing, blooming,
   a porch-full of roses,
   this june rejoicing
   I'll press and save
   till the end of my days.
    bob, it was better
 than ever imagined,
 real and deep,
 comfort and caring,
 effortless sharing,
     god-given fitting--
   words cannot tell
   my grateful wonder,
   but hearts can 
   (and bodies as well --
    or better)
   man 
   from my dreams,
   I thank you,
   bless you,
   release you,
   but hold the memory,
        holy-whole.


And what’s the back story here? Greg was my housemate, the good-looking, self-confident scion of a wealthy Connecticut family, who teased and tempted me until one night, when my boyfriend (who also lived in the house) was away for a week, I knocked on Greg’s bedroom door. As I have discussed in other blog posts, that rash action ultimately broke up my relationship with my boyfriend. However, all the housemates, including my ex, traveled from Pennsylvania to Darien for Greg’s wedding nine or ten months later.

Matt was the nineteen year old brother of Greg’s bride, in town with his family for the celebration. (I was twenty six.) Clever. Flirtatious. As the poem says, precocious. Enough said.

And Bob? (Who could possibly write a poem about someone named “Bob”?) Given the poem’s assertions, I’m embarrassed to admit that I barely remember him. A friend of Greg’s, I believe, who had shown up at our house parties. There had always been strong attraction between us, but he had a girlfriend. (And where was she that sunny June day? That information is lost to posterity.)

As I reconstruct things, Bob gave me a ride in the evening after the reception, back to the Hartford apartment of the female friend with whom I was staying. She was out. Bob and I shared a joint out on the apartment balcony. One thing led to another.

At the time, I clearly believed I’d experienced some sort of epiphany. And perhaps I did—even if the memory has faded.

My older self wonders whether he deliberately gave me a ride home just so he could get laid. I’d rather think his motives were less selfish. Certainly our connection that night felt more than just physical. But then, all my liaisons did.

I wouldn’t say the day chronicled by this poem was typical. However, it wasn’t some sort of fluke, either. There were other days during that period when I had sex with more than one person.

I’m not ashamed. I’m not sorry. And yes, I miss the breathless newness of sex back in those days.

That’s a big part of what I try to capture when I write erotica now.



4 comments:

Larry Archer said...

"realizing how slutty I must have seemed to anyone observing me" - Most guys won't admit it but we all love a slut best of all. A good slut can be a good girl when required but let the slut out of hiding when needed. Thanks for the great stories - Larry & Foxy (another slut)!

Fiona McGier said...

I didn't usually write poems for(to) any of them. Most became faceless cocks in my memory. I enjoyed most of them, though many didn't give me orgasms, and I'd have to finish myself off later. I wrote a saying on a poster once, and we hung it in the girls' dorm, in a window facing the boys' wing: "There's no such thing as a frigid woman. Only clumsy men."

There were really only two men I wrote poems to, thanking the universe for dropping them into my bed. The second one was the man I've been married to for 35 years. When we met, I told him that I'd kissed a whole lotta frogs, looking for my prince. But he could be sure that since I knew a good one when I found him, I'd never cheat on him. Good ones are too hard to find! Then he told me that he didn't care how many men I'd been with, since everything that had happened to me before he met me, made me he woman of his dreams. As long as I was his last man. And he is.

I also ran into quite a few men who would disagree with you, Larry. They would bed me quickly enough, but wouldn't acknowledge me in public after that, as if afraid that to do so would let everyone know that they, too, had succumbed to my constant urges. My roommates got used to finding strangers in the house in the morning, and knew that I'd brought another "stray" home. I was voracious, and not particularly fussy. Male? Check. Able to get hard? Check. We're good. Oh, your name? Who cares? Fuck me, you fool! Grin!

And Lizbet, I didn't think my urges were related to procreation, because I didn't even want a kid until I'd already been married for over 2 years. I just wanted to get laid! I'd been doing it myself for so many years, but my mom had told me that doing it with a man was even better. Since I was disappointed so many times, I just kept at it until I got better, and the men I was picking got better, so I could finally learn what a multiple orgasm felt like. Of course, then that's all I ever wanted to do! But alas, one must get out of bed and go to work, to be able to afford that bed. Life is so unfair!

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hey, Larry! I honestly didn't think of myself as a slut. I was just exploring my sexuality. And I do have to say that most of the guys I had sex with seemed to appreciate my attitude.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Fiona!

Just because you didn't consciously want to have kids doesn't mean your hormones weren't a factor in your horniness. I didn't want kids, either.

Somehow, sex for me has never just been about orgasms. It's a much more full body/full mind experience.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)