Monday, January 1, 2018

My Answer is Yes

Butterfly


Thirty six years ago, in the wee hours of New Year’s Day, my husband proposed to me. We were staying in Taos, New Mexico, in a fabulous adobe-walled hotel we’d somehow happened upon. Given the time of year, the place was pretty empty, so the management gave us this huge family-sized room, with something like five beds. We tried them all....!

At the time, we were a bit more than halfway through a three week road trip, crossing the US from the East Coast, where he (and my family) lived, to the West, where I was located. Needless to say, we were not taking a very direct route! He was coming west to move in with me. We’d known each other for about six months, but given the long distance between us, we’d only spent a few weeks, total, in each other’s company.

Nevertheless, our relationship was so relaxed and easy, it seemed we’d been partners for years. Our meandering drive across America was a magical voyage of discovery. Taos was just another jewel in a sparkling strand of amazing times together.

I remember that New Year’s Eve was crisp, cold and unbelievably clear. The stars were points of fire outside the windows of our room. He held me, kissed me, asked if I’d be his wife.

I laughed, kissed him back, and told him to ask me again in a year. After all, we were intoxicated, with New Year’s champagne and the thrill of our new love. Who knew what our future would bring? I hadn’t planned on ever marrying, given the string of divorces that marked my family history. I didn’t think it was necessary or useful.

He didn’t give up. Next New Year’s he repeated the question. My answer was yes.

Our love has been a great gift. We’ve had more adventures than I’d ever dreamed (and I always had an active imagination). We’ve enjoyed health and peace, laughter and inspiration. Like any couple, we’ve had some difficult times, but overall we’ve been blessed.

He has taught me many things. How to cook Indonesian food. How to solder a circuit board. And how to say yes to life, even when I’m unsure. I was a cautious, anxious young woman when we met, always worrying about people’s opinions and analyzing my options. My beloved taught me, by example, how to be spontaneous, to embrace life with open arms.

How else would I ever have been crazy enough to set off driving three thousand miles with someone I barely knew?

Yes. I am blessed indeed.

Happy New Year to you all! 
 
May 2018 bring you joy, peace and prosperity.



1 comment:

Colleen C. said...

Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)