Sunday, June 2, 2019

Author’s Karma - #amwriting #marketing #sharing #karma


Karma
Image by pixel2013 from Pixabay

If you follow my blog with any regularity, you might have noticed that I’ve personally been a bit scarce lately. Instead, I’ve been showcasing the books of my fellow authors. I hope you’ve been taking advantage of the chance to meet new writers and find out about their books. Quite a few of my guests have been offering giveaways, too. I’d love to see some of my regular visitors win!

But what about my own work? Shouldn’t this blog be focused on marketing Lisabet Sarai?

Well, I suppose so. It gets a bit exhausting, though, to keep shouting, “Buy my books! Buy my books!” Don’t get me wrong, I am very proud of my sexy stories. Still, I suspect you’d become bored if this blog offered nothing but my own promo.

The recent density of guest posts is partly due to my having made an open announcement on my writers’ lists that I had guest spots available. I got an enthusiastic response. More than a dozen of my colleagues contacted me – you’ll be seeing more of them in the next few weeks.

I really enjoy reaching out to my fellow authors and helping them get the word out about their new releases. This is especially true for writers who are relatively new to the publishing game. I’ve been doing this a long time. I’ve learned a thing or two, and I’m happy to share what I know.

I’ve also built up a small but loyal group of fans, most of whom are voracious readers. (In a survey I did a few years ago, I learned that several of them read more than a dozen books per week!) If I can introduce them to new writers, and vice versa, then it’s a win-win situation. Everyone benefits.

Meanwhile, it’s hellishly difficult to be an author these days. There are too many books, and too many scams, people trying to game the system and get rich quick. You can easily spend 100% of your time (not to mention money) on marketing, and even then there’s no guarantee anyone will pay attention.

When are we supposed to find the time to write? And how are we supposed to muster the creative energy, when promotion is such an all-consuming, mind-numbing, soul-sucking effort?

So I help, when I can, and trust that I’ll receive help in return. This is not a tit-for-tat transaction; it’s more like karma. The universe rewards you in unexpected ways for being kind, generous, polite, friendly and reliable. I’m personally grateful for all sorts of advice and assistance I’ve gotten throughout my twenty year career. It’s only right that I try to pass it on.

So – if you’re an author, especially a newbie – consider this an invitation. I’d love to get to know you and give you the chance to showcase your work here. I know how you feel about your books. I feel the same way about mine.

Let’s share.



2 comments:

apky said...

I for my part, Lisabet, think you're a blessing to emerging writers/authors like me. You've assisted me in so many ways and even designed the lovely cover of my Book 3 of the Golden Shana series. You're doing a great job of the proverbial Love Your Neighbour... Keep it up, lady.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Dear Akinyi - we each have to do what we can. If I've helped you at all, I'm really glad. And I've received the reward of your friendship and support.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)