Saturday, March 16, 2013

Off the Beaten Path

By Jennifer Wright (Guest Blogger)

One of my biggest fears is a reader becoming disappointed with something I may write.
For each book I have the basic outline planned out in my head before I even sit down to write it. There are times that a character may slightly change the course of the story, or lead a scene in a direction that I may not have intended for them to go, but the story still ends the same. I make that decision – not them. But what if the path I take them down leads to heartache? What if the character doesn’t get what they want – or, should I say, what the reader may want for them?
I’m all for the cookie-cutter storyline and happy ending, but my books have to have twists, turns and angsts that’ll have your heart beating faster in anticipation, sadness or happiness – all that a reader (hopefully) won’t see coming. I want to keep them intrigued and wanting to read more. But if they do not get something they want, will that be it for them? Do I take the chance of writing something they may not have seen coming – something they may not like or want – for the possibility of a great book?
Karen and Rachel both love Tom; everybody’s rooting for Tom and Karen to get-together, but Tom ends up with Rachel.
There will still be love. There will still be a happily ever after. I will have just stepped off the path and steered it in a different direction – a path less taken.
I, first and always, will write what my heart, mind and soul tells me to. But my number one question is, is a reader willing to take that path with me, is that what some would want to read as well, or would they rather stick to a road they know and that is safe?
So, everybody, what would you rather have in a book – would you prefer a book to be safe and possibly (I hate to say it) predictable, or would you like to read something off the path?
Tell me your answer in a comment below and you’ll be entered in to win an e-copy of Morvea: Finding Home Series book 2. Be sure to leave an email address in the body of the comment so I know where to send the book to. ;)
A winner will be chosen on Monday the 18th using random.org.
Now, on to the excerpt!
Book blurb

Keddrick has denied claiming his mate for four years, separating them by worlds just to keep the man he loves safe…from him. Can he resist temptation when his love lands on his doorstep in need of help? 
Morvea Cover
Eli has lusted after Keddrick from the moment the vampire stepped through the portal and into Earth. He had desperately wanted to follow along when Keddrick returned to Pavarus, but it wasn’t allowed—not to mention that Eli was under the impression that Keddrick was straight. Four years later his wish has come true, but not in the way he wanted. Barely escaping death by the hands of Wayland, head of the human council on Earth, Eli flees to Pavarus in search of help. The line of events that gets him there releases a hidden secret deep inside him he never knew existed, and will soon change his life forever. 
Keddrick’s restraint towards Eli is being seriously tested, and every day Eli stays with him at the coven, it gets harder. He wants to keep his distance, but at the same time he wants to do everything he can to please Eli. As time goes on, he feels his resolve slowly crumble, his love for the man too strong to ignore. When Keddrick finds out about Wayland’s threat on his and Eli’s lives, he is determined to stop the madman anyway he can, even if that means going against Eli’s pleas for him not to.  
Through blood and tears, years of love and moments of betrayal, can these two men find their way through the hardships and into a life of happiness in each other’s arms?

Excerpt 

Eli gasped when another sharp pain sliced through his head. Groaning, he clutched at his skull as bright lights blinded his vision.

And with a flash, images flooded his mind like an old, silent picture show.

Flash.

Eli standing in his office with three men.

Flash.

Rick, Larry and him tied up in an old, abandoned warehouse.

Flash.

Wayland standing before him, accusing him and Keddrick of trying to rule Earth.

Wayland confessing his own plans to rule Earth once he and Keddrick were ‘out of his way’.

Flash.

Larry dead—shot in the head.

Flash.

Him and Rick escaping.

Flash.

Eli getting shot and Rick face down on the pavement—dead.

Flash.

Eli lifting his hand to ward off his enemy.

Flash.

The man hurtling backwards into the street by an unseen force—then the car slamming into his body.

Eli sucked in a deep breath when his vision had cleared and he tried his hardest not to cry out.

“Eli?” Keddrick sounded alarmed, his words loud in Eli’s ear.

This time he did cry out when Keddrick grabbed his arm. The pain from the vampire’s touch had Eli jumping out of his chair and stumbling backwards till his butt hit the back of the couch. When a few of the men stood, he yelled, “Stay away from me!” The thought of anyone touching him made his skin burn.

“Eli, what is wrong?”

Keddrick’s words were more forceful this time, but Eli ignored them as a new surge exploded through his body. Every cell inside him felt like it was coming to life, vibrating and roaring for release.

He barely heard Keddrick’s order for someone to get Isa. Fuck that! He didn’t want that witch anywhere near him. This was all her fault anyway. The side effect of whatever she’d given him was wreaking havoc on his body. A hum sounded in his ears, and everything around him soon faded out as the hum became piercing.

He clutched at his head again and screamed.

~~~~

The sound of Eli’s screams cut at Keddrick’s soul. He wanted to go to his mate, to comfort him, but Eli’s warning had him rooted in place. It was hard, though, when the tears started streaming down Eli’s face. He stepped forward, ready to pull Eli into his arms anyway, when Aliam burst into the room with Isa.

When Aliam dropped her before him, she covered her ears and yelled angrily, “What is the meaning of this?”

He didn’t bother apologising, just said, “I need more of that potion you gave to Eli last night.”

“No!” she said. Keddrick growled at her. “No, he said he didn’t want my help,” she said as she pointed to Eli.

Eli’s screams continued to fill the air.

“Damn it, woman! Can’t you see he’s in pain?” Keddrick closed the little distance that was between them. “Help him. Now!” The words were so forceful the walls seemed to vibrate.

Isa’s eyes widened and she took a step back. “I—”

She was cut off by Wesley’s gasp. When Keddrick turned to look at him, his jaw dropped. The maps and papers that’d been scattered across the table now floated in the air. Keddrick glanced around the room, taking in all the items that hovered over the surfaces they’d once sat on. He flinched when Eli’s screams suddenly became louder, forcing everyone to cover their ears. The furniture began to shake before it too started to rise up—up and up till Keddrick could see the bottom of the couch.

Keddrick looked at Eli. The man’s face was red, his eyes squeezed shut, his head thrown back as his fingers clenched in his hair.

Suddenly, Eli’s screams stopped, and everything in the room came crashing down around them.

Keddrick reached Eli just before he hit the floor. Gathering his mate into his arms, he rushed to lie Eli down on the couch, amazed it hadn’t broken.

He cupped Eli’s face in his hands. “Eli, baby, wake up.”

Buy links
About Me

I was born in Arizona, but have spent the better part of my life in Wisconsin.  While I enjoy living close to my family, my heart longs to live in the South – or anywhere where the winters are warmer, and I hope to someday get there.  I love writing, and try to dedicate as much of my free time to it (ha! what free time?).  If I’m not typing away on my laptop, you’ll find me with my nose buried in a book, or with my loving boyfriend debating on what movie to watch and the never ending back and forth decision of what we should have for dinner.  I love spending time with my family and boyfriend, cuddling with my two cats, and laughing as much as possible (cuz I like to think I'm funny :-D).

Some little tidbits about me are – I love horses and cats, I have a really big sweet-tooth, and I've been told I like to talk with my hands (insert hand gestures here).
My Links

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lisabet, for having me as a guest today! :)

~Jen

Lisabet Sarai said...

Greetings, Jen!

You're always welcome here. Congratulations on the new release!

Hugs,
Lisabet

Urb said...

I don't have time to waste on trite predictable books! I'd much rather take a chance on something edgy and unexpected. Great excerpt--right up my alley! I'd really love to read this series. Thank you!

Urb
brendurbanist at gmail dot com

Author H K Carlton said...

Hi Jen and Lisabet.

I think you're right Jen, go with your heart. Stay true to yourself. Because ultimately when that book comes out, it has your name on it. And if you conform (to the cookie-cutter set) then you are not being true to a product that you can or will be proud of in the end.

Congratulations on the release of Morvea!
All the best,
H K

Anonymous said...

I think even if I'm disappointed with the outcome, a good writer will still make it feel like the ending that was supposed to happen. Readers are allowed to have feels, but if the story is well-written, they'll just experience those emotions and congratulate the author on making them care.

Congrats for your new release!

Anonymous said...

That's good to hear!
Good luck with the giveaway. :)

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks, HK!

~Jen

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Aurelia. I'd hate to disappoint readers for something they were wishing for, and I can only hope that they'll be happy with the endings I do choose.

~Jen

Anonymous said...

And the winner is...............Urb! Congratulations!

A big thank you to all who commented. And thank you again, Lisabet, for having me as a guest! :)

~Jen

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)