Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Incognito is now available in audio! #AudioBook #EroticRomance #MFRWHooks

Incognito Audio Cover

I just got the news that my multi-partner erotic romance Incognito: Secret Lives, Forbidden Loves is now available as an audio book. If you like to listen to your stories, this book is a real deal: over nine hours of steamy romance! And you can get the book for free, if you sign up for a new account at Audible.com.

Here’s a snippet to whet your appetite.

Blurb

Shy and serious by day—insatiable by night.

During the day, Miranda Cahill works diligently on her doctoral thesis. At night, she has sex with strangers. Her secret life explodes when she realizes her masked partner at a kink club and the charismatic colleague courting her are in fact the same person – the one man who can teach her to accept her diverse desires, as well as to trust her heart.


The Hook

Passing a classroom, she glanced through the glass-paned door and saw Mark Anderson in front of two dozen students. She stopped to watch him. Although she could not hear his lecture, his face was animated. He smiled often, laughed occasionally, gave his students complete attention when they spoke. Pacing from one side of the room to the other like an actor on a stage, he moved with lithe grace. He used his hands, gesturing expansively one moment, clenching his fists dramatically the next. Occasionally he ran his fingers through his tousled brown locks, sweeping them back off his forehead.

Miranda found herself transfixed. His performance ran the gamut from the melodramatic to the comic. Just like his Dickens, she thought. There was an ache in her chest as she realized how attractive he was, how accessible he seemed. Not at all like the arrogant, mocking gentleman in her dream.

He was totally focused on his class, but suddenly he looked over at the door. Did he recognize her standing on the other side of the glass? She felt the intensity of his gaze, and it seemed that their eyes locked for a long moment. Miranda was embarrassed, as if she had been discovered engaging in some forbidden act. Blushing, she hastened away.

Mark found her fifteen minutes later in the lounge, drinking a cup of coffee, skimming a Xeroxed manuscript and trying to calm the silly beating of her heart. “Miranda!” Pouring himself some coffee, he sat down next to her. “What did you think of my first lecture?”

His manner was so friendly, she couldn’t help answering his warm smile. “Actually, through the glass I couldn’t hear anything you were saying. I was just admiring how much you were able to communicate with body language.”

Ah, yes, the fruit of my years in amateur dramatics. You might not realize that you are looking at the favorite leading man of the Kenosha Community Theatre. Why, everyone in southern Wisconsin had heard of Mark Anderson!”

You’re from Wisconsin?”

Alas, yes, but I’ve been trying to remedy that failing. Graduate school in San Francisco and London. Six months working on my dissertation on a remote island in Nova Scotia. Six months ‘sabbatical’ in Thailand. And now lovely Boston, which I am enjoying more every day.”

Miranda somehow got the notion that this comment had a personal dimension. She ignored the discomfort associated with that thought and forced herself to continue with the conversation.

Where are you living? Have you found a decent apartment?”

Actually, I’ve got a great place, on Pearl Street.”

In Chinatown?”

Exactly. On the third floor, above the Jade Garden Restaurant. It’s an old building, with tall windows and wooden floors. I look out on an alley, so it is relatively quiet. The only problem is, with the cooking smells that filter up from below, I’m always hungry!”

They both laughed, and Miranda felt marginally more relaxed.

What about you, Miranda? Where are you from?”

Born and bred in Cambridge. Spent my childhood playing in Harvard Yard.”

Miranda Cahill—you’re not related to Herman Cahill, the Shakespearean scholar?”

My father. He’s retired now, living in Florida. Obviously, I couldn’t do my graduate work anywhere but here, in his department.” Miranda sighed. “All the expectations are a bit of a burden, though. No one mentions it, but everyone knows that I’m his daughter.”

I’ll bet you were named after the character in The Tempest,” said Mark with a laugh.

His favorite play,” nodded Miranda. “It is a good thing that I wasn’t a boy, or he might have named me Prospero!”

So, what does your father think about your unconventional thesis?”

He refuses to comment. He can be something of a curmudgeon sometimes. In fact, I think he finds it embarrassing, but titillating.”

Well, I can understand his perspective.” There was an awkward moment of silence. Miranda stared at the bottom of her coffee mug. Mark finally spoke.

Look, I’ve got to run. I have a student conference in five minutes. But I’d love to talk some more. Why don’t you come over for dinner tonight?”

Miranda hesitated, nervous all over again.

I’m as good a cook as I am an actor, if I do say so. Do you like spicy food?”

Definitely.”

Then I’ll cook Thai. Please, don’t disappoint me, Miranda.”

He looked so earnest, so open, and so darned attractive, Miranda could not say no. “What time?” she asked.

How about eight? It’s 17 Pearl Street, apartment 3B.”

Can I bring something?”

Just your lovely self,” said Mark. Then he noticed her blush, and made his tone more matter-of-fact. “You could bring a bottle of wine, if you felt like it. Red.”

Miranda smiled, sensing that he understood her ambivalence. “I have a bottle of CĂ´tes de Rhone that my father sent for my birthday. I’ve been saving it for a special occasion.”

Seems very appropriate.” Mark glanced at his watch. “I really have to go, but I’ll see you tonight, okay?”

See you tonight,” said Miranda. Then she sat by herself for another ten minutes, waiting for her heartbeat to return to normal.

 

 

Buy Links

Ebook

Kinky Literature: https://kinkyliterature.com/book/362-incognito-secret-lives-forbidden-loves

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1N7CTMQ

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1N7CTMQ

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/2940165857058

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1147874

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/incognito-secret-lives-forbidden-loves

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61138791-incognito

Audio - Narrated by Freya Victoria

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Incognito-Secret-Lives-Forbidden-Loves/dp/B0BMWG2XQK

Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Incognito-Audiobook/B0BMWDKQH2

Be sure to visit the other authors participating in today’s Book Hooks hop!



6 comments:

Adriana said...

I love the sound of this plot, and your excerpt has really pulled me into the story. This line popped out at me "Miranda was embarrassed, as if she had been discovered engaging in some forbidden act. " - sounds like she'll have many such moments.

Amber Daulton said...

A bottle of red, Thai food, and mutual attraction. Sounds like they're going to have a great dinner. :)
Thanks for sharing!

Tena Stetler said...

Wine, dinner, and attraction. They will have a great time. Enjoyed the excerpt. Thanks for sharing!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Sounds like an interesting story. Your pacing hero reminds me of my son-in-law who paces as he teaches.

Daryl Devoré said...

Congrats on book being available in audio. And it's a great last line - her waiting for her waiting for her heartrate to return to normal. Tweeted.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Oh, this is a must-have! I live in the middle of nowhere, so I love listening to audio books on long drives when I'm alone in the car. I'll react to the audiobooks while I'm driving, which may be pretty funny for other drivers as my mouth drops open, and I'll give an "ooh!" an "oh!" or a "you don't say!" to the narrator.
Tweeted.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)