Sunday, June 4, 2023

Off to Japan! #Vacation #Japan #Inspiration

Manikaneko outside a Takayama shop

From a previous trip to Japan


By the time you read this, I’ll be on a plane heading for Tokyo. I’ve been working ridiculously hard; the next two weeks are going to be one hundred percent holiday. (This is the only two week period I have. My work schedule is entirely full for the rest of the year LOL!)

I’ve actually spent quite a lot of time in various parts of Japan – perhaps two months, total, over the past decade. It’s a far more diverse country than most people realize. Once you get out of Tokyo (which is definitely enjoyable, but a bit overwhelming), there are mountains and lakes, rural towns and rice fields, ancient castles and austere temples. Although the Japanese have a reputation for being reserved and unfriendly, we’ve never found this to be the case. If you’re careful where you choose to stay and eat, it’s not especially expensive, either.

Given my affection for Japan, it’s rather surprising that I haven’t written any stories set there. I did start an Asian Adventures tale set in Hakodate, a small city on the northernmost island of Hokkaido, but I ran out of inspiration after a page or so.

Perhaps that will change on this trip. As many of you know, the settings of my stories tend toward the exotic. I’d love to capture the complexity and subtlety of Japan in one of my books.

Anyway, I have a number of guests scheduled here at Beyond Romance over the next two weeks, so I do hope you’ll drop by. I will also be participating in the MFRW Steam Hop on the 13th. However, things at the blog will be quieter than usual. Don’t worry, though. Soon after I get back, I’m going to be releasing a brand new lesbian romance, in honor of Pride Month.

Hope to see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)