Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Meeting my other hero … #Steampunk #MFRWHooks #Contest

 Amorous Couple Banner

It’s Wednesday once again, time for another MFRW Book Hooks blog hop. I’m still sharing exclusive bits from my new steampunk ménage release The Master’s Mark. Last week I featured one of Gillian’s lovers, Rafe Wystock. Today I introduce you to the other.

Let me remind you that my Toymakers contest runs until January 31st. You could win a $10 bookstore gift card, plus an ebook copy of the new release. For details on entering, see my post from last Wednesday. It’s really easy!

In this excerpt, Gillian and the Guild Governing Director Amelia Featherstone are taking a steamer from England to France, to try convincing a former Toymaker to rejoin them.

Blurb

How do you train a steampunk sexbot?

Gillian’s promotion to journeyman proves she’s ready to lead the Guild in producing astonishing new erotic artifacts. Creative, brilliant, and debauched, she’ll stretch her capabilities to the limit as she juggles a talent shortage and a pair of jealous rivals. Then there’s the challenge of their latest commission—a life-sized programmable sex doll intended to replace a client’s deceased paramour.


The Hook

It was a glorious though breezy May day, the sky a brilliant blue scattered with delicate puffs of cloud. Gillian’s heart felt nearly as light as she followed Amelia onto the boat.

The Ladies’ Salon is on the upper level,” the older woman commented. “Shall we establish ourselves there and order some tea? We’ll have a fine view.”

I’d rather stay outside, if you don’t mind.” Gillian wanted to explore the lower rear deck so she could study the wake of the ship, in order to see what it could tell her about the forces on the screw shaft.

Very well. Do take care, though. We don’t want you falling overboard.”

Don’t be concerned. I’ll be careful.”

Amelia gathered her hand baggage and headed up a spiral stair to the cabins above. Gillian wended her way to the stern, where she found she was the only occupant. It was windier here than it had been on land, and colder. She had to hold on to her hat to keep it firmly on her head.

The boat had already passed the barrier that protected the harbour. The famous chalk cliffs shrank toward the horizon as the steamer’s bow sliced through the waves. Gillian had read that modern steam engines could travel as fast as 20 knots, with a fuel consumption of less than an ounce of coal per mile travelled. The swift, smooth passage was indeed a marvel.

The powerful engine twisted the water into a braided trail that stretched back toward the land. With the fine weather, Gillian scarcely noticed any rocking. She leaned over the rail slightly, trying to catch a glimpse of the sub-surface screw.

Have a care, Miss! ‘Tis a fair day, but we might hit a swell that’d topple you into the deep in two whisks of a pony’s tail.”

The tenor voice had a mellow tone and a lilt that was unfamiliar. Gillian looked up to find a tall, slim young man in the uniform of a ship’s officer standing beside her. Despite his implicit criticism, he wore a broad smile, all the more noticeable because his skin was nearly as black as the coal that fuelled the Invicta. His warm brown eyes held more than a hint of humour.

I’ve got a good grip on the rail,” she replied. “I was just curious about the screw.”

Oh?” His brow furrowed in surprise. “Why’s that?”

I’m—” she started to tell him she was an engineer, then remembered that she should be discreet about the Guild and her role in its somewhat scandalous endeavours. “I’m a teacher. I teach science in a private secondary school. And I want to be able to explain the workings of modern steam engines to my students.”

Indeed! I don’t meet many young ladies who’re interested in such things.” His grin widened, his excellent teeth gleaming like pearls. “And what would you like to know, Miss?”

Well – it’s a triple expansion design, is it not? What’s the maximum boiler pressure? Can it handle 200 pounds per square inch?”

Astonishment quenched his teasing smile. “That it can, Miss, though I’m rightly stunned that someone like you would know, or care.”

Gillian shrugged. “I’ve always had an interest in the inner workings of things.” She gave him a closer look and liked what she saw. He had the same lanky build as Rafe, and some of the same restless energy that distinguished her lover. His facial features were more angular than she would have expected; popular depictions of black men tended to show bulbous, flat noses and thick lips. His high forehead signalled intelligence, at least according to common belief. Tightly curled hair clung to his well-shaped skull.

Given Her Majesty’s far-flung empire, it wasn’t that unusual to see dark-skinned individuals around London, but she rarely had the opportunity to interact with them.

As he noticed her scrutiny, his smile returned. “Imagine I could do a bit to satisfy your curiosity, but right now I’m supposed to be working.” Arms by his sides, he gave a stiff little bow. “Jeremiah Manley, Second Engineer of the SS Invicta, at your service.”

I’m delighted to make your acquaintance, Engineer Manley. I’m Gillian Smith.”

And where do you hail from, Miss Smith?”

I – um – currently I’m working in Devon.”

As a school teacher?”

She nodded, aware that he didn’t quite believe her. “I don’t suppose you could give me a tour of the engine room, could you?”

I’d love to, Miss, but that’s strictly off limits – watch out!”

A sudden gust had snatched her hat and sent it flying toward the ship’s wake. She flailed, trying unsuccessfully to catch the fugitive headgear and in the process lost her balance, stumbling into the deck rail. Jeremiah Manley reached out, caught her upper arm in a strong grip, and pulled her against him, away from the edge.

She had an impression of strength, warmth, and energy. His muscles shifted under the well-fitting uniform as he tightened his hold on her. She found herself a bit breathless, though whether this was the consequence of her near-disaster or his masculine presence she couldn’t quite say.

He held onto her for longer than was really necessary to stabilise her position.

I did warn you, Miss Smith,” he said in that odd, musical accent when he finally released her. “The sea can be perilous.”

 


Visit the book page on my website for all buy links! Speaking of which, the first book in this series is still on sale for only 99 cents at all outlets. Links are here.

And I do hope you’ll visit the other authors participating in today’s hop.



4 comments:

Adriana said...

I totally love this - rich descriptions, finely nuanced.

Tena Stetler said...

WOW, I totally enjoyed the excerpt. Great descriptions and dialog. Thanks for sharing!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Great excerpt. The sea can be treacherous

Daryl Devoré said...

The sea can be perilous - I don't think she needs to be concerned about the "sea". Tweeted.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)