Friday, November 3, 2023

Holiday Reading? #AmWriting #WIP #Pressure

็Holiday Reading

Image by Алексей Смирнов from Pixabay

So, Halloween has come and gone. Next up, Thanksgiving. Then of course there’s Christmas and New Years, with Valentine’s Day following hot on their heels.

Lots of authors plan their releases to coincide with holidays, and focus the relevant books on holiday themes. There seems to be quite a bit of pressure in this direction. At least, I feel the pressure. Right about now, I begin to worry frantically about whether I can manage to write a Christmas story by the end of December.

Some years, I can pull it off. Some years, I can’t. This year, I’m wondering what will happen if I publish a Halloween story for Christmas.

You see, my current WIP is a vampire/werewolf erotic romance. In fact, the dramatic climax is supposed to take place on All Hallow’s Eve. I’d hoped to finish the book in time for this October 31st, but that turned out not to be possible. I just might, however, be able to finish by the end of the year.

If I were to release Fangs, Fur and Single Girl for Christmas, would that be too weird?

I do wonder whether readers actually seek out seasonally appropriate titles. When everything is coming up Christmas, do you want to read about Christmas too? I honestly don’t know; my own reading tends to be opportunistic and varied. Rarely am I reading fewer than four books concurrently. I don’t think I’ve ever deliberately selected a book for its holiday theme.

What about you?

I’ll give away a $5 bookstore gift certificate, just to get your answer. Leave me a comment and let me know whether holidays influence your reading choices. I'll randomly choose one commenter to win the prize. To get two chances to win, also tell me whether you think I could publish FFSG during the winter holidays without being ridiculous!

(Don’t forget to include your email so I can find you if you win!)

15 comments:

aerokorngal said...

No, holidays don't impact my reading but I believe FFSG could be published any time of the year! reneela2000(at)gmail(dot)com

Debby said...

I do not seek them out. In fact, it stresses me so often I do not read them. debby236 at gmail dot com

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

I only seek them out for research myself unless a favorite author releases something. I think Fangs, Fur and Single Girl would make a great gift for a lover of paranormal romance any time of the year. Go for it.

Stormy Vixen said...

I tend to read whatever book, catches my fancy, at the moment, no matter the time of year or holiday! I love to read, so the more books the better for me and Fangs, Fur and Single Girl would make me happy any time of year!

Colleen C. said...

I might read more holiday reads around this time of year, but I do read them year-round! I tend to read whichever books call to me from my TBR.

bn100 said...

no
bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Michelle said...

The time of year vs book being holiday-themed doesn't make a difference to whether it catches my eye to read. If it is a good enough story I will get pulled into the book & enjoy the holiday atmosphere in the writing. Fangs, Fur and Single Girl would be just as enjoyable with the snow flying as it would be with autumn leaves blowing. purrpurrkoshkamb (at) (aol) (dot) (com)

Anonymous said...

Holiday themed books are nice if they are around the holiday but it’s not a must. I can read a good story anytime

Anonymous said...

Only as so far as that the books appear during certain times of the year - eg: Christmas.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Shelly Peterson said...

I enjoy reading holiday books but usually just around the holidays.

Jeanna Massman said...

I will read holiday books all year long if they sound good to me. I don’t usually choose books based on the time of the year!

Cyntha Gioia-Puel said...

I think you could definitely publish FF&SG in the winter holidays without being ridiculed. I think it's always a good time for werewolf fiction.

And I never read holiday books, and find them a bit annoying honestly. "Oh this author I like has a new book out! Oh, shoot, it's just a holiday one..."

(The only thing that influences my reading in this way is that when an author dies I often read a book or two of theirs... but this definitely *isn't* recommended as a career move 🤣)

Cyntha (CynthaGP-at-gmail)

Lisabet Sarai said...

Thanks to all for your encouraging comments. You've given me new motivation to get FFSG finished and out the door!

I will leave the contest open for a few more days, then choose a winner.

Cindi Knowles said...

I read holiday books year round, esp bcz I like to read books in a series, so I'm often reading through the series and it may have books that are written for several different holidays. I just like the book to be good.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Congratulations to Cindi, who has won the GC. And thanks to all of you who replied to my questions!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)