Saturday, June 25, 2011

Where Does the Time Go?

By Marie Haynes (Guest Blogger)

I love to write – I feel alive and vibrant and sexy and creative and all kinds of wonderful when I write. But somehow, I write far less that I want to. Why you ask? Could be my full time job as an educator – you know – the one that actually supports my family. Could be the family – two college aged sons whom I adore, one husband, two dogs, and one mother with early stages Alzheimer’s who refuses to live anywhere else but alone in her own house. I no longer have a sibling, so I’m her only caretaker along with hubby and sons. In addition to caring for her personal needs, there’s also her house – oh, and the duplex she still owns but doesn’t remember which we rent out. And my own house – an absolutely beautiful 100 year old Victorian with hardwood floors, pocket doors and a round front porch. (I’ve lovingly named it The Money Pit.)

With all of this going on, when do I find time to write? Not nearly often enough is the answer. I’m doing well now that I’m on summer break, but once the school year starts up again, I’ll be run off my ass. But sometimes, late at night or when I’m driving or putting a lovely cake in the oven, I hear voices in my mind. No, I’m not schizophrenic – although that has been suggested. Those voices are characters demanding attention, demanding release. They want freedom and life and know the only way to achieve that is if I give them form by writing.

So often, I leave home. Not for good! Just temporarily – because if I don’t, the laundry, the phone, a dog, a dust bunny will distract me. Now a lot of writers go to coffee houses or libraries in order to concentrate. Not me. I go to bars. Yep. Bars. I order a glass of wine, set up my netbook and peck away at the little keyboard. No one bothers me ( Seriously, who would bother a focused red-head with a glass of wine in her hand?) and I like the atmosphere of bars – simple, regular folks laughing and relaxing.

I don’t get the chance to write nearly as often as I would like, but I do write as often as I am able. Besides, someday soon my sons will be out on their own and my mother will no longer need me as she does now. When that happens, I’ll write more. But for now, I’m going to enjoy my family while I have them.

BIO Raised in a very conservative, Catholic family in a very conservative Mid-Western small town, I was a bit of an anomaly. I loved poetry and daydreaming, art and reading, kissing and magic. Eventually, I met my husband who encouraged me to fulfill whatever dreams I could dream. My sons, the joys of my life, also encourage my writing and inspire me to be the best person I can be. With these three men supporting and loving me, I fear very little. In the little free-time I have, I enjoy cooking, Celtic music, Jameson whiskey, laughing with friends and playing with my little dog.

Visit me online at http://www.freewebs.com/mariehaynes.

4 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Marie,

Welcome to Beyond Romance!

I don't have as many responsibilities as you do, but I still have trouble finding time to write. I admire your persistence!

Hugs,
Lisabet

Word Actress said...

Wow - I love the idea of going to a BAR to write. Never thought of that one but with all the bookstores closing around me here in Northern California, I'll have to investigate some of the local watering holes. How beautiful that you have three men so supportive of ur creativity...

She said...

You have a busy life. I know I never have enough time to do what I like as well as what I need to do. I figure when I retire I'll do it. Although most of the people I know who've retired always say they don't know how they found the time to work.

Marie Haynes said...

Time is always an issue and I sometimes do have trouble prioritizing. Writing is totally 'ME' TIME and I cherish every moment of it! Writing in bars - it's great fun! When I need a break, there's always someone to chat with and the people watching is inspirational!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)