Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A steamy summer in the Berkshires – #EroticRomance #SummerTheater #MFRWHooks

The Understudy cover

For today’s MFRW Book Hooks blog hop, I have a snippet from my BDSM erotic romance The Understudy. It seemed appropriate for the middle of July, given that the story is set in a summer theater troupe in the scenic Berkshires in western Massachusetts. I grew up in Massachusetts, and my memories of summer performances, often under a tent, are still vivid.

Today’s scene is from the first few pages of the book. Renowned leading man Geoffrey Hart has arrived at the playhouse, and dominant that he is, is taking control.

Enjoy!

Blurb

One look from him and I melt. One word, and I’m on my knees.

When the Berks Hills Summer Playhouse offered me my first real acting job, I never expected to share a stage with theater legend Geoffrey Hart - let alone his bed. Nothing in my education or experience prepared me for the paradoxical pleasures of submission.

Now I’m devoted to my master, for better or worse. According to the rumors, though, Geoff’s heart is taken. Dumped by his long-time sub, he has escaped to the Berkshires to lick his emotional wounds. Geoffrey’s dark games arouse me beyond belief, but I fear I’m just a substitute for the real object of his affections. Am I willing to settle for the role of understudy in this perverse passion play?

The Hook

Mr. Hart!” Adele broke the spell, rushing forward to shake the actor’s hand. “Welcome to Barrington! We’re all so excited to have you here…”

He seemed to notice her for the first time. He favored her with a charming smile and an appraising once-over. My relief at being released from his scrutiny was tempered with irrational jealousy.

Ah, thank you, Miss…”

Adele. Adele Franklin. I’m the ingénue. I play Chava in Fiddler and Stella in Streetcar. Oh, and Mimsy in Plaza Suite. I’m just thrilled to meet you, Mr. Hart…”

She had not released his hand. She leant forward, almost on tiptoe, her lips parted, her body practically vibrating with eagerness. His smile was gracious but dismissive as he turned his attention back to me. Everything inside me seemed to melt in the heat of his gaze.

And you are?”

Um—Sarah Gladstone, sir. I play chorus and extra roles. I’m also the understudy for Adele and Ms. Stuart – Helen Stuart, our leading lady. This is my first year here.”

Very pleased to meet you, Sarah. I look forward to getting to know you better over the summer.” His words were polished and polite. His eyes, however, told me another story. They stripped me bare and then challenged me to complain about his boldness. He knew that I would not.

The driver had removed Hart’s three suitcases from the trunk while we’d introduced ourselves. Geoffrey gestured for him to carry them inside. Adele and I trailed after the actor like groupies.

Mr. Wiggins, the innkeeper, came out from behind the counter to shake Geoffrey’s hand. “Mr. Hart, it’s an honor. I saw your Macbeth four years ago. Astonishing.”

Thank you so much. I’m very happy to be here. The mountain air is so delightfully fresh. New York in the summer can be stifling.”

I scanned his profile. He didn’t look nearly as happy as he claimed to be. Maybe there was some truth in Adele’s story.

I’ve put you in the Shays suite on the fifth floor. It’s on the corner, so you’ll get the cross breezes. And it has a lovely view of the town green.”

I’m sure that it will be just fine.” Geoffrey signed the register and picked up two of his suitcases. He turned to Adele and me. “Bring the other bag, girl,” he ordered.

My friend and I looked at each other in confusion. What was he talking about?

You heard me, Sarah.” He headed up the stairs without looking back.

Adele’s mouth hung open. I nearly choked on my indignation. Sure, he was a famous actor, a star, but that didn’t give him the right to tell me what to do.

He paused at the landing, looking back over his shoulder. Once again I felt the power of that dark gaze. My anger wilted. My nipples peaked and my legs turned to rubber. His impatience beat against me like a physical force. I didn’t want to obey, but I also did not want to disappoint him.

Mystified by my own emotions, I grabbed the suitcase and trudged up the stairs behind him.

 

Buy Links

Kinky Literature https://www.kinkyliterature.com/book/4427-the-understudy-acts-of-submission/

Amazon UShttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VYT8DN

Amazon UKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092VYT8DN

Smashwordshttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1080182

Barnes and Noblehttps://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-understudy-lisabet-sarai/1139312061?ean=2940164880460

Kobohttps://www.kobo.com/th/en/ebook/the-understudy-acts-of-submission

Add on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57802100-the-understudy

Use the links below to visit the other authors participating in today's Book Hooks hop.



2 comments:

Adriana said...

I love this "My relief at being released from his scrutiny was tempered with irrational jealousy." You always pack so much into just a few words.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

A spicy setup. Tweeted.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)