Monday, October 24, 2016

An Interview with Kimbra Kasch (#historical #vikings #KingArthur @KimKasch)


Morgaine Le Fey cover

Today I’m delighted to welcome Kimbra Kasch, author of Morgaine Le Fay and The Viking, to Beyond Romance. I always enjoy historical fiction, so I was eager to learn more about her book.

What inspired you to write this book? 

My first trip to Hamlet’s Castle in Elsinore, Denmark. My husband was born and raised in Denmark so when he took me to meet his Danish family, he took me to visit one of his country’s most fantastic sites. It was there that I first learned of the legend of Holger Danske, a Viking Warrior and heir to the throne. But that wasn’t even the most fascinating thing to me. I found out Holger was married to King Arthur’s half-sister, Morgaine Le Fay. And the legend got more interesting with every word. 

Hamlet's Castle
 

King Arthur was given Excalibur by The Lady of the Lake (a Norse Goddess) but he wasn’t the first or the last to be given such a gift…

Holger was given the sister sword to Excalibur – “CORTANA”.

I couldn’t forget about this Viking. When I went home I read all I could find about him…and Morgaine. The legends cross countries: France, Denmark, England, Ireland… I was mesmerized.

How did you come up with the title?

Morgaine (who is found in many legends, under many different names in many different countries: (e.g. Morgaine Le Fay, Morgan le Fay, Morgaine le Fey, Morgen, Morgain, Morganna, Morgant, Morgane, Morgne, Morge, and more) fascinated me most of all. In some legends she was a shield maiden who rode out in the front of King Arthur’s army. In other legends she was a sorceress and in some a Fairy. I had to read more about her. But when you put the legends of Morgaine together with the legends of Holger…I felt their story had to be told. 

It seemed so strange that people in America had only heard the portion of the tale that included King Arthur…maybe because that part of the story was all in English. But, if you could read French, Danish and English, you could hear the rest of the story.

What made you choose the main setting for your book?

My story travels from Britain to Denmark to France and back again. I couldn’t choose only one location when the story travels across continents, countries and an ocean. ;D

 
Viking House

If you could spend an hour in real life with one of your characters, who would it be and why?

I think I would want to talk with Morgaine the most. I would like to see why people thought she was a Fairy and a sorceress but mostly I would like to hear about her life as a shield maiden. For a woman to ride into battle and actually defend the men she loved is fascinating to me, a woman who sits behind a desk and types… ;D I mean, the worst thing that could happen to me is a hangnail or maybe a paper cut ;D

Tell us a little bit about the conflict in your story.

The conflict in my story involves Holger and Morgaine riding into battle against each other. The Vikings were not a friend to the Brits. Yet, somehow these two epic characters fell in love. It was not an easy journey or path to choose. King Arthur did not welcome a Viking to his table.

Do you write books in series? If so, share a bit about the series you currently have published or are coming soon.

I hate to say goodbye to characters I love. I keep thinking about them and writing about them.

This is the first book in a series of three… It starts with Morgaine and travels through time to tell more of the story.

So are you currently working on another story?

I am working on the third book in the Viking Series, which tells the true tale of Mordred, Morgaine’s son. Or at least the Viking perspective ;D

What sources do you use for research?

I gathered all the information I could about my story, including visiting many of the sites in my story. I traveled from Denmark to France to England and Ireland. I also pulled from the library and grabbed everything I could when I was in Denmark. 

 

It’s time to promo. What is your favorite marketing tool?

I am horrible at marketing. I am an introvert at heart…as many writers are. But I enjoy Pinterest, I have a Viking board where I pin pictures. Plus I love to post pictures to Instagram too.

Blurb

Travel across oceans, continents and countries to discover the story of legendary Viking hero, Holger Danske, and his magical romance with King Arthur’s half-sister in Morgaine Le Fay and the Viking

This is the story of two warriors who never thought they’d find love, especially on the battlefield, yet standing poised against each other Morgaine and Holger face an attraction more powerful than any sword, stronger than any warrior and more magical than all the powers of Merlin.




Find Kimbra on your favorite social media:


Plus, on Instagram @kasch.kim

5 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Kim!

Thanks for being my guest. I love your photos!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Thanks so much for having me. I love sharing this Danish legend with new readers. It's such an interesting tale.

Kimbra

Kimbra Kasch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeeDee Lane said...

Hi Kimbra, GOOD luck with all. Your Viking legend is fascinating. And I can definitely see the interest and inspiration you got from the Danish legend. Happy writing!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Thanks Deedee Lane. I hope your words are like a talisman and bring me loads of luck ;D

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)