Friday, March 21, 2014

Why do we love vamps?

By Suz DeMello (Guest Blogger)

In a word: because they’re hot!

Like great chocolate, vampires are smooth, seductive and dangerous. They're invariably wealthy because they prey upon whoever they please and can steal for a living if they choose. Anne Rice's Lestat is the classic example.

And many female fans enjoy the fantasy of losing control to a sexy, dominant male. On top of that, our culture worships the young and the beautiful.

In my writing, I emphasize not only the vampires’ sensuality, but also their unnatural strength and speed. In Blood is Thicker... my heroine works as a PI. In one scene, she leaps with ease onto the roof of an apartment building.

In my Temptation in Tartan, the hero is the laird of a clan full of vamps. When the heroine is attacked, he tears off the head of his enemy and drinks the blood, an event which startles the heroine, who has never even heard the word “vampire.”

In Highland Vampire, the descendant of vamps valiantly protects the heroine even though his blood has been diluted by the passage of many years.

Oh, and yeah: he’s hot.

Blood is Thicker... a short story by Suz de Mello
(previously Immortal Hunters)
Genre: Paranormal action-adventure.
A century-old vampire, Rama is used to shadows and loneliness. 
She uses the name Hestia White and lives in a coastal town working as a private investigator. If some bad guys disappear on her shift, no one cares…until John van Helsing shows up. Bearing the name of the vamps’ greatest foe, he interferes in her case and in her life.
Friend, lover or enemy?


Here’s a little excerpt from Blood is Thicker...

...he gave me his pussy-warming smile, then leaned forward and kissed me. He thrust his tongue into my mouth, and when it scraped past my sharp canines, I tasted his blood.

Yes. I sucked greedily. Sweet. Rich. John was a vampire, and he’d fed recently on young, healthy prey. I let myself drown in that lushness for a moment. It suffused my every cell with rapture, energizing me even though I went weak from pleasure. Then I returned the favor, pushing my tongue into his mouth and searching for his canines, deliberately pressing into their edges to give him a part of myself, my blood. The tiny cuts would heal quickly, while the mingling, the sharing would last forever.

An otherworldly tingle started in my lips and tongue, spreading over my flesh like magic rainbows dancing over my skin. All-encompassing pleasure wrapped me in ecstasy. His kiss transported me into another world, a private, magical universe of bliss. For a brief moment, nothing and no one else existed. Desire flamed into violent life, capturing me with unbreakable bonds. My clit quivered, and my pussy clenched with need. I reached for John, grasping his jacket’s lapels, uncaring when I gripped so tight that my greedy, needy fingers tore the gray gabardine.

I cannot begin to describe the communion that’s created when two immortals connect. Kissing is like an orgasm not only of the body, but of the mind and soul as well. (Yes, we have souls, unnatural though they may be).

I tugged him closer, frantic to feel his chest against mine, desperate for his cock to enter me. It had been so long... Besides, up close and personal, John’s sheer masculinity overwhelmed me. I’d forgotten how seductive lust could be. I could become addicted to his kiss, the hard planes of his body beneath my questing fingertips, his raw animal blood-scent.

I wanted to kiss John forever, and make love with him throughout eternity, but I was wary of becoming ensnared. We immortals are a suspicious lot. We don’t love very often. We fear our fellows, and with good reason.

John could kill me. The tiny sips we’d shared were tasty, but my heart’s blood would make him immensely powerful.
Best-selling, award-winning author Suz deMello, a.k.a Sue Swift, has written seventeen romance novels in several subgenres, including erotica, comedy, historical, paranormal, mystery and suspense, plus a number of short stories and non-fiction articles on writing. A freelance editor, she’s worked for Total-E-Bound, Liquid Silver Books and Ai Press, where she is currently Managing Editor. 
She also takes private clients. 
Her books have been favorably reviewed in Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist, won a contest or two, attained the finals of the RITA and hit several bestseller lists. 
A former trial attorney, her passion is world travel. She’s left the US over a dozen times, including lengthy stints working overseas. She’s now writing a vampire tale and planning her next trip.


Find her books at http://www.suzdemello.com



For editing services, email her at suzswift [at] yahoo [dot] com


Befriend her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sueswift, and visit her group page at https://www.facebook.com/redhotauthorscafe


She tweets her reading picks @ReadThis4fun and @Suzdemello











2 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Suz,

Welcome back to Beyond Romance! Glad to see you're still pumping out bloody good fiction...! ;^)

Suz de said...

Thanks, Lisabet! I appreciate you hosting me.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)