Saturday, June 2, 2012

Shouting with My Fingers

By Maggie Nash (Guest Blogger)


Whenever my writing isn’t going well and I’m wondering what the heck I’m doing, I like to re read this story below. I wrote it after I sold my first book back in 2005 and it never fails to remind me of one of the many reasons I write. Let’s face it, writers have artistic temperaments and as such we are very insecure. Being told that someone wants our work, or finding a good review is like receiving manna from Heaven!

So here is my first sale story. It gives you an idea of how exciting it is for a writer to get that validation. I hope you enjoy it J

***


When I started writing I used to read “the call” stories with awe. Stories involving messages on answering machines, of lots of screaming and blabbering over the phone while patient editors waited on the end of the line. One day that surreal experience will be mine, I confidently told myself. Then, of course, I quickly descended to my usual mindset of wondering if I’d ever be good enough. Oh, the sighs…I can tell you!

Then as I became a more experienced writer and heard my friends and acquaintances get these calls I wasn’t only in awe…I was downright jealous! Don’t get me wrong…I was thrilled for them, but at the back of my mind it was a toss up of feeling happy for my buddies or feeling guilty for wishing it was me…does this make me a bad person?

No, I hope not, but what it meant to me was that I was determined to get there. I wasn’t giving up. And it paid off for me when I sold my first book early one Sunday morning. Yay Me!

So how did it all happen?

Well it wasn’t actually a “call”. It was an email...though no less exciting! I‘d been in editing hell for about a month and I was waiting on the word from a couple of friends who were giving the book a last read through. When I got the word that they thought it was okay, I submitted the requested full manuscript by email to my publisher. This was seven in the evening on the Friday night. I tried to stop thinking about it because realistically I knew it would be a couple of weeks at the earliest before I would hear anything. But I still checked my email all that night. The Executive editor emailed to let me know she had it and how she was looking forward to reading it. I had a really good feeling.

Still not thinking I’d hear anything for some time yet, I spent the next day checking the email anyway, telling myself what an idiot I was. But I couldn’t seem to stop myself, silly me. But on Sunday morning when I turned on the computer on my way to the kitchen to put the kettle on for a cup of tea and opened my email, there staring me in the face was an email from the executive editor. Oh my God…was this good or bad news? It was too soon wasn’t it? Or was it? Was this a good sign? Or bad? My hands were shaking as I clicked on the email to open it. But I had to do it. It seemed to take forever to open but —Holy mackerel! She loved the book and could she buy it? It was only 36 hours after she’d received the book that she made the offer!

Hearts really do slam chests…and gasping happens! True…I have the bruised sternum to prove it! And my youngest son tells me I gasped so loud it woke him up! I was actually going for a low key response given that the family was still asleep, or so I thought. Ha! But not for long…I made a bee line to the bedroom and woke up the husband…then found a couple of sons awake and told them…I even messaged number one son in his room on MSN! The next three hours were spent emailing and phoning everyone I could think of to tell them the news and then answering the overwhelming number of congratulatory messages and emails I received. Romance writers all over the world are the most supportive people I know.

I really was shouting with my fingers!

And I never did get that cup of tea.


***

This was probably one of the better days in my life to date. I guess you can tell from my exuberant story LOL. So tell us a first in your life. It could be a sale, a kiss, a first child , first spanking….whatever!

I have several bundles of swag to give away so comment away and leave your email address so I can contact the winners!

Oh, and I wanted to share the cover and blurb from a new story of my that will be coming out very soon.

 
The Executioner
 
A team building exercise at a remote location reignites the heat between former lovers Madeleine Smith and Nicholas Garabaldi .  When team members start dying they must learn to trust again so they can outwit whoever is killing off the group one by one. Is it the “Executioner” from the indigenous Dream Time legend of the local Bilbulmun tribe?  Or is someone closer to home responsib


About Maggie
I’m Maggie Nash and I write romance novels. Some of them are suspenseful, some are pretty hot, and some of them are a little bit kinky, but what they all have in common is a fun, romantic ending.

I started writing more by accident than design when one day I ran out of books to read so I started writing one myself. And boy am I glad I did, because writing has become a huge part of my life.

I live with my family on the beautiful south coast of New South Wales in Australia. You can find me most days having a cappuccino at the beach!

You can also find me at my website: www.maggienash.com
Twitter: @maggienash




40 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Welcome back, Maggie!

I love to hear about authors' first sales. It's such a high!

Let's see. What "first" should I talk about? My first million books sold LOL? I could talk about a lot of different sexual firsts, but those are lost in the mists of time...

I'll let the readers take you up on this challenge, I guess.

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks for having me back Lisabet! I love hanging out here :-) I'm sure there's a myriad of firsts still to come for you like the first million books!

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say! So folks - comment away and I'll send you some swag! I have some pens, some postcards and even some bookmarks :-)

So don't hold back!

Bellina said...

What a nice story! I hope this encourages anyone who has been shy about submitting to just go for it. There is nothing like that first acceptance! Or the second, or third...

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Oh, Maggie. What an awesome story!
I was alone when I got "the email." Everyone I knew was away at a conference I couldn't afford because I hadn't made any money yet. I gasped out loud and gave myself a mental high five, then waited seemingly forever for someone to come home so I could share the news.

mcv said...

I'm a reader, not a writer, but I can imagine your excitement on selling your first book.
Since I now have an empty nest I'm able to indulge my love of reading, and since then I've become aware of all the aspiring authors out there. I had no idea that the field was so hard to break into. I admired the persistence of all authors and wish you continued success.
The executioner sounds like a great read!
mcv111@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie and Lisabet

What a lovely call story, Maggie. These always warm my heart. It makes the writing journey so worthwhile. I recently received my first 'call' email and I tell you, it's the most wonderful feeling in the world. I'm still pinching myself. I'm looking forward to reading your books, especially The Executioner. Good luck and happy writing!

Regards, Juanita

Latesha said...

Maggie, the sale was well deserved. So proud of you for perservering. You are great at what you do.

joye said...

I am always looking for new authors to read and your book sounds really good. I have added it to my TBR list.

hotcha12 said...

HI MAGGIE! THE EXECUTIONER LOOKS HAWT AND CA'T WAIT TO READ!

linda_bass@sbcglobal.net

Debby said...

HI Maggie, I have always enjoyed your books. The Executioner looks fantastic!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Qwillia Rain said...

Maggie, I know how you feel about getting that email. My first sale was a shock and started on Halloween. Ironically, I'd queried the editor at Loose Id, about my Christmas themed book, Santa's Elf and since she was out for surgery I didn't expect to hear from her for a while. When I got up on Halloween morning and was getting ready for work, I got the email asking if the book was finished. It wasn't, but I called in sick to work and spent the next four hours writing out the final three chapters of the story that I'd been too lazy to put down on paper then sent it off to her.

By six that night she emailed me again to tell me she was passing the book on to the Quad (the four ladies who make the final decisions on books) and that I probably wouldn't have an answer for about a week. By the time I got home from work the next day, there was a response from the editor saying they liked the book but they wanted to see if I could make a few changes before they'd decide if they wanted it or not.

To say it was a busy weekend was an understatement, but by the time I came home from work on Monday, the acceptance letter and the contract were in my email and there was no keeping me quiet. I called my family on the West Coast, called my friends (both near and far) and emailed my local RWA chapter.

I'm glad you took your "call" Maggie. I look forward to reading The Executioner and you did a fantastic job on that cover!!

Qwillia

Unknown said...

Awesome story, I can still remember the awe and disbelief when I get the email that a publisher wanted my book. I still get all chuffed when I get a new contract, it just never gets old. :-)

I need to get The Executioner when it comes out, looks great.

Mindy said...

Great story about the first call, Maggie. I'm not a writer YET, maybe when I decide to retire. I'm a singer (not professional, YET ;) )& my first solo gave me my first case of stage fright too. I was in college & took a theater arts class, the director of the class play (10 Nights in a Barroom, a temperance play satire) needed SOMEONE to sing solos for the woman's part. I auditioned & the director was wowed, I practiced & practiced the music till I was sure I knew every line. The night of the performance came, The stage fright kicked in (sick to stomach etc.) I went to the powder room to "relieve myself" & got the act together. The performance ROCKED and so did I.

Mindy :)
Birdsooong@aol.com

Mindy said...

LOVE the cover for The Executioner & the blurb is great. Can't wait for it to come out.
Mindy
Birdsooong@aol.com :)

aureliatevans said...

I've had a short story first - "In Circles" for the queer women's erotic horror anthology Fist of the Spider Woman, and I was thrilled when I read the email reply. The anthology editor who chose it GOT the story and loved it and explained why very eloquently, and what more can a writer ask for?

I'm right now on the cusp of something new and big and I occasionally have to squeal in private at the amazingness of it. I can't believe this is me. I can't believe that I made the transition from aspiring professional writer to just professional writer. It's what I always wanted to be.

Tameka said...

The first time I ever traveled out the house by self. I was 3 years old my mother went to work and daddy was supposed to watch me. I was in bed daddy kissed me and said "going to the store pumpkin I'll be right back your uncle will watch you". But I wanted to go to the store with daddy. So being the big girl that I am I get dressed put on my coat and since I knew the way to supermarket I decided to go on my own to catch daddy. Well daddy was t there at the supermarket but the nice worker brought me to daycare close to the supermarket that mommy liked to take me. Finally the so nice workers is daycare called to policeman because no one was answering the phone. At this time my poor uncle is searching the place looking for. I finally see out the window waving him down. But the police showed up and wouldn't release me into his custody they wanted my parents at the station. Now at this time the police did not believe that I left the house by myself. So the nice police woman took off my close and told me to put it back on. Now me thinking this was all a game started singing the song that mommy taught me on how to out on my close. Everyone was amazed to find a little girl like me doing this for myself. Eventually my mom and dad reached the station. The cops was like you so have to watch her and make sure you put the locks that she can't climb a chair and open the door. Well cut my story short daddy wasn't supposed to be gone come to find out he was at his mistress. My little incident kind of bussed my father. After mommy left daddy served him his papers and kicked him to the curb. How crazy was that first detective
rasco630@yahoo.com

Maggie Nash said...

Goodness me, you go to bed - wake up and all these wonderful comments are here! Thanks everyone for taking the time to write something! It means so much :-)

Keep them coming folks!

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks Bellina. It certainly encourages me when I re read it. And yes, each one is exciting!

Maggie Nash said...

Oh Ash...that would have been so hard! A huge part of the fun is being able to tell everyone! I'm sure you made up for it when they all got home :-)

Maggie Nash said...

Hi mcv! Yes, it's tough to break in, but as they say - persistence pays! Plus a bit of insanity and of course, hard work! I hope you get a chance to read THE EXECUTIONER when it comes out...it will be soon! Keep your ear to the ground!

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks Juanita and huge congratulations on your own "call" email!!! Isn't it wonderful? Yay!

Maggie Nash said...

Hi Latesha! You were there when it happened and such a great support for me! Thanks for all that you do :-)

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks joye ! I hope you like it! It won't be long until it's out!

Maggie Nash said...

Linda! Gorgeous! How are you???

Thanks for dropping by!

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks Debby! I'm blushing now :-) I'm so glad to see you drop by!

Maggie Nash said...

Wow Q! I sort of did the same thing after my request! I hadn't finished the book either - you know how they say don't pitch a book unless it's finished? LOL Looks like neither of us listened! And a good thing too! Imagine if we hadn't discovered your wonderful books! Nope. can't imagine that at all!

Thanks for dropping by!

Maggie Nash said...

Yep. No greater feeling! I'll remind you when it comes out Se!

Maggie Nash said...

What a great story Mindy! It just goes to show that practice really does make perfect!

I can so relate to heading to the bathroom multiple times before a performance! In my day job I occasionally speak at conferences and boy is that scary the first few times :-)

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks Mindy! It won't be too long :-)

Maggie Nash said...

It's so great when someone "Gets" your writing! How cool is that! Oh, and you must be so excited with your new venture! Come on - can't you give us a hint? LOL

Maggie Nash said...

Wow - that was definitely a pivotal incident in your live Tameka. You were so lucky that you were safe, but I'm sorry to hear about your parents.

I did a similar thing when I was 3. People underestimate how clever kids are! I always had to lock the doors from my eldest son - he could get out of anything!

Thanks for dropping by!

Keziah Hill said...

Great story Maggie.

Maggie Nash said...

Thanks Keziah :-)

pc said...

It's wonderful that you shared your first sale moment, Maggie! It is so encouraging and especially when an aspiring writer has those "why do I do this" moments! As for a first for me, my first crush when I realized that even tomboys can have "feelings" I blushed for the first time in my life and wanted to throw-up and laugh at the same time.
ivegotmail8889@yahoo.com

Sue Moorcroft said...

I had a 'first' this week. A reader messaged me on Facebook to tell me that the term 'UK' as in United Kingdom, didn't exist in the Sixties. Hmm - the United Kingdom was formed on May 1 1707. Whilst I always welcome reader feedback, I don't think I've had such an odd message before.

Oh, except the one where a man asked me if when I said 'bicycle' I mean 'bisexual'. I just deleted that one.

Maggie Nash said...

Oh pc - you've taken me back to my first crush! I was in love from afar with the same boy for about 2 years! The dream was much better than the reality - I finally met him and his voice was terrible!

But before that, just seeing him made my heart pound and my face heat up! LOL

Maggie Nash said...

Hahaha...that's funny Sue! I've had a similar experience when someone tried to question my knowledge of things Aussie - and here's me an Aussie all my life LOL...

The bicycle comment is hilarious! But hey, if they're reading the books and caring enough to write to you, you must be doing something right!

searching4princecharming said...

I absolutely love the story about the first sale. How exciting that must be for an author! I'm up for reading new books, so thanks for the "lead."

Kari
searching4princecharming(at)gmail(dot)com

Maggie Nash said...

Hi Kari

Oh yes, it's very exciting! I will always remember that feeling and it stays for each new sale :-)

Thanks for dropping by!

Maggie Nash said...

Okay folks...anyone who hasn't left me your email addie - can you send me an email at maggienash@gmail.com if you would like some swag. Everyone else I'll be emailing you soon!

Thanks again Lisabet for having me as your guest this week! It's been great fun as always :-)

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)