Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Passion for Writing

By Sam Crescent

[I'm delighted to welcome newly published author Sam Crescent to my blog today. Sam's going to be giving away a copy of her new release to some lucky person who leaves a comment on this post! ~ Lisabet]

My passion for books began as a small girl. The first book I ever read completely was George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl. I’ve loved books for so long I can no longer imagine my life without them. Through the years I’ve gone through many different genres of reading (young adult, crime, mystery, horror).

For many years I avoided the romance section. I would turn my nose up at romance as a teenager. Then at around sixteen, I was round my local library with nothing to read. I was bored of everything. Looking around my sanctuary—almost hidden away in some forbidden dark corner, so no eyes could see—a stack of romance books (Mills and Boon) struck me. I was brought in by the book covers and then the titles and then the story. Stumbling my way through these never before seen books, I began to pick up books at random. I remember picking up—and forgive me—the dark-blue cover books. I was later to discover was the Modern Romance series.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall the book or the author. I do recall walking to the desk with books in hand, the person behind the desk scanning my new treasures. I was feeling shy and nervous as I succumbed to romance.

When I got home and began to read I feel head over heels—sorry about the cliché—in love with all things romance. From that day forward romance was all I wanted to know about. I loved the characters the way they were brought together against unreasonable odds. I got my happily ever after ending every time.

Now that was romance. I have a curious mind. I’m always looking for new books and I research. For weeks an author’s name kept popping up and appearing on books pages as recommended reading. One night I decided to click and see what it was all about.

I had just stumbled on the path of erotic romance.

I absorbed every book I could get my hands on. I loved the smoking hot scenes and the stories unfolding before my eyes.

I always loved writing but something was missing. Reading these books seemed to slot in the missing link into place. My writing really took off. I was discovering how fun and passionate I could be about my writing. I suddenly knew what I wanted and who I wanted to be as a writer. I didn’t want to be worried if my character wanted to have hot and steamy sex in the middle of a bathroom somewhere.

I can now write what I want and I think that is the key to writing.

Being published has been an amazing, emotional and scary experience. I’m not going to lie, but being accepted and writing this—as my first novella is published—hasn’t changed the aspiring writer within. Every WIP/ manuscript, story begins, I still feel as if I have a lot to learn and as my writing career—fingers crossed—develops and expands I will always be an aspiring author at heart, always nervously awaiting the acceptance or the dreaded rejections.

I hope you guys enjoy and love Office Hours as much as I enjoyed creating it. I hope it is the first of many stories to tell. Thanks for listening to me ramble and remember to keep on dreaming because one day your dreams may just come true as I’m living mine right now.

Blurb:

Fiery red headed temptress Anya King is desperate for the carnal delight of pleasure weekend. A chance in indulge in every sexual fantasy.

However...

Demanding sexy boss, Nathan Banks has signed them both up for a “team-building” weekend, in the beautiful country town of Buxton.

Innocent weekend turns to hot lusty sex. Enough to melt the snow outside and the ice around their hearts. Will the job she loves survive the weekend? And will there time be more than just a moment?

Excerpt:

“What the hell is this?” Anya King stormed into her boss’s office carrying the offending memo and slammed it with as much force as she could muster onto his desk.

Nathan Banks stopped typing to glance at his personal assistant, then at the memo he’d left on her desk while she went out to lunch. “It’s about a team-building weekend. It’s a new scheme to help colleagues work together better.”

“I can clearly see what it’s about, Mr Banks. What I want to know is why my name is on that list?” Anya placed a hand on her hip. She needed to keep her head, relax and breathe.

“I signed us up for the course as a team.” He pushed the paper away, looking at her with calm composure. Anya felt anything but calm.

“You did this without even consulting me?” She swallowed down her anger, keeping her fiery temper at bay. Work relationships were supposed to be kept professional. It wouldn’t do for her to lose her temper.

“ In case you hadn’t noticed, Miss King, I happen to own this company, what I say goes and if I think this weekend will benefit my company, as my personal assistant you’ll be accompanying me. No questions asked.” He looked pointedly at the memo until she picked it up again.

Anya watched him go back to his computer, his sure, sturdy hands typing purposefully away. Clever hands that could bring a woman all kinds of sexual pleasure, if all of the rumours floating around the office were true. Anya tried not to think about her boss and sex. It was wrong and unprofessional, but sometimes when she was alone images of Nathan crept into her mind, and not all of them in employer-employee situations.

“I have plans this weekend.” She folded her arms underneath her full breasts. She needed this weekend! There was only so long she could resist her natural urges. Face it, she was over-sexed. Images of Nathan fucking her had entered her mind one too many times of late. Time away with another man, or men, should put her system back to rights. Nathan could go back to being just a man she happened to work for.

“Cancel it.” He didn’t even lift his head.

“How am I supposed to cancel at the last minute?” She wasn’t going to give in just like that. He was going to hear her out whether he liked it or not.

But Nathan was just as stubborn as she. “Find a way. It’s not my problem. I’ll see you here tomorrow at nine. Pack for a busy weekend and read the memo, it’ll tell you what you need.” He dismissed her, lifting up his phone to dial an associate.

Anya thought about waiting it out, to see if he really was calling someone and not just doing it to get rid of her. Instead she nodded, simmering to herself, took the memo and quietly left his office, closing the door without making a sound.

Sitting behind her desk, she grabbed her bag, pulling out her ticket and the file about her planned pleasure weekend. Tomorrow she was supposed to be leaving for a small, isolated mansion, where every little lust and desire the body craved could be experienced, along with the promise of total anonymity. The ticket alone would have left most people crying at the cost. She could only just afford it on her salary.

She sighed. It was a good job the ticket could be used on any weekend over the course of a month. But her ticket was for December, one of the busiest times of the year, which meant her time was already in short supply.

Anya usually went for the first weekend of the month, but overtime at work, along with life in general, had got the better of her this month, so she had been planning to spend the second weekend of December at her erotic hideaway. Had been, until her domineering boss had demanded her presence on his stupid team-building weekend. He said, “Jump,” and she had no choice but to say, “How high?” Anya took pride in her work, but sometimes being the best personal assistant was a pain in the arse. The reward for good work was more work. Shaking her head in disappointment, she reflected that at least there were still two weekends left after this work-together-better nonsense or whatever he wanted to call it. She folded up her ticket and placed it carefully back in her bag.

She could survive this weekend, but she would need reinforcements. Sexual reinforcements.

Buy Office Hours now at Total-E-Bound!

BIO: Sam Crescent is passionate about fiction. She loves a good erotic romance and so it only made sense for her to spread her wings and start writing. She began writing in 2009 and finally got that first acceptance in 2011 by Total-E-Bound.

She loved creating new characters and delving into the worlds that she creates. When she’s not panicking about a story or arguing with a character, she can be found in her kitchen creating all kinds of havoc. Like her stories the creations in the kitchen can be just as dubious but sometimes things turn out great.

Keep tabs on Sam on Facebook, Twitter, and at her blog, http://samcrescent.wordpress.com/

18 comments:

Harlie Williams said...

Congratulations on your release. I'm sure that you are excited, scared and anxious all at the same time. Office Hours looks great and I can't resist an office romance. I'm still a devoted Harlequin reader.

maw1725@gmail.com

Sam Crescent said...

Thank you for commenting Harlie, was beginning to think no one was going to show. I love the Harlequin romance in fact I think they can be addictive.

Sam

Harlie Williams said...

I love erotica but I'm still getting some series from the Reader Service every month. Some are now ebook subscriptions and some I still get in print. I've bought from Mills but it takes about a month for them to get to Texas.

And yes, they are very addictive!

Sam Crescent said...

I love the Modern Romance series I get them from my local Library. Erotica I love as well, I should love it I now write lol

Kellie Kamryn said...

Love the excerpt! Congrats :) As a child, I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on. Even though I loved the mystery, it was always that little love affair between her and Ned I looked forward to. Can't remember the first romance I read, but I always wanted to write one!

Wishing you the best!

Tami Winbush said...

Wow, that sounds wonderful. I love feisty women! So much fun trying to put the fire out. :)

Lindsay K. said...

Congrats on the release, and the book sounds great!

Pommawolf Emeraldwolfeyes said...

Congrats Sam, on your new release...*S*
Great excerpt and I love the cover on the book too.
I like strong women, not whiny ones, and the strong alpha men who love them. There is nothing worse than a whiny "woe is me" character. IMHO...LOL
I have your book on my gotta have asap list..*S*
Thank you!

Darcy

pommawolf @hotmail.com

Jen B. said...

I have always been a voracious reader. I took an extended break from fiction when life got in the way. 2 1/2 years ago I discovered romance. Now, my shelves are filled to breaking. And, I discovered erotic romance by accident. I ordered the wrong thing from Amazon when I was learning how to use the site. I always love to find new authors. Thanks for the giveaway.
jepebATverizonDOTnet

Maggie Nash said...

Congrats on a hawt, smoking book Sam!

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Sam,

Sorry I couldn't drop in sooner - evil day job (actually I love it, so it's not evil). A warm welcome to Beyond Romance. Office Hours sounds very hot indeed! Congratulations and wishing you many more pubs!

Ashley Applebee said...

Congrats on your new release!! It looks like an absolutely yummy read!!
Ashley A
ash_app@hotmail.com

JerryR said...

Congrats on your first release, kiddo.Wish you great success.

Sam Crescent said...

Jen B. I couldn't imagine being without a book. I imagine you are absorbing everything now lol. What a way to get into Erotic romance. Did you ever send the book back?

Thank you for having me Lisabet, I would love to come back again :-)

And everyone thank you for leaving a comment and making my short stay here welcome.

desitheblonde said...

the book is and will get top you see i love the hr and read them all the time i love the cover you had and would like to read and blog

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your release! I hope you have many more! Office Hours sounds amazing.

Sam Crescent said...

I completely forgot the give away,

Harlie Reader, I'll be sending you the free copy of Office Hours. Thank you to everyone that came and commented. I should be on Victoria Blisse Friends Friday and I'll organise another give away.

Thank you Lisabet and thank you everyone who commented.

Sam

Jen B. said...

Sam,
Yes, I both kept and read the accidental Amazon purchase. I had no idea that erotic books like that existed. Now I have a collection of them in my closet (away from my kids!). Actually, the book is Dangerous Boys and Their Toy by Shayla Black. It is still one of my favorites and I can't even explain why!
Jen B.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)