Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Illicit Affair

By Leigh Ellwood (Guest Blogger)

Writing is my livelihood. By day I create content for websites and social media profiles. I sell my online marketing expertise to a variety of businesses around the country, and I must admit I offer fairly good results. It is rewarding to receive credit for part of the success when a client wins a lucrative business contact thanks to being found at on the right Google search results page at the right time. That's what I do - get people noticed.

Writing is also my mistress, an illicit affair I'm not ashamed to have enjoyed for the past several years. Since 2003, I have written a number of stories and novels (see the complete list), and those aware of my work schedule often ask, "How the hell do you do it?" To answer fairly, I have to compare my fiction writing activity to a series of clandestine soirees.

Why? Essentially, it is because my work load is so heavy that I must resort to the occasional slip through the back door to meet the novels in progress. I literally sneak snippits of time to finish sex scenes and raunchy dialogue. If I'm at work, I might keep a Google document open and switch windows on the computer when nobody is looking so I can get one more sentence in before the next client comes calling.

I have owned an iTouch for over a year - the thing is a godsend. The Notes application is loaded with finished chapters I have written on the sly - on long drives with hubby at the wheel, during lunch or dinner or downtime at Starbuck's, or in the last drowsy minutes before bed. Always, I email myself the small documents, and in time I can build a finished story. This might as well be the digital equivalent to plotting out a novel on bar napkins during happy hour (you can be certain I've done that, too).

I'm asked, too, if this manner of writing has stifled my creativity. I don't think so. If anything, the practice of sneaking around to write the dirty has injected an element of excitement in these projects. That I might spend some time on the clock plotting the next move of a hero or heroine certainly helps the day job pass quickly, I can tell you that!

Anyway, my latest project isn't something I wrote directly, but edited. Silver Wings is a collection of M/M (with one MMF) steampunk erotica. It is a genre that has fascinated me for a while, and I'm happy to be associated with the book. If you enjoy GLBT erotica or steampunk and have longed for a combination of the two, this is your lucky day!

You are welcome to visit Phaze.com to read an excerpt - the book is available at most of the major eBook vendors. To sample anything from my back list, you're welcome to visit me at the following links:

http://www.leighellwood.com

http://leighwantsfood.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/leighellwoodauthor

http://twitter.com/LeighEllwood

Bio: Leigh Ellwood is an award-winning author of erotica and erotic romance fiction. Her first novel Truth or Dare was published by Phaze in 2004, and has since been made available in paperback at Borders bookstores around the US.

In addition to her many romance novels and stories, Leigh also writes the comic strip Ged’s Gals, an internet exclusive feature, and writes non-erotic mysteries as L.K. Ellwood. Her work has also appeared on the Playgirl.com website.

Leigh welcomes reader mail at kspatwriter (at) yahoo (dot) com

.

3 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Greetings, Leigh! Welcome to Beyond Romance.

I can't believe that you write the way you describe. That would never work for me. I have to have a couple of hours, minimum, in order to be productive. Your tale of your "illicit affair" (which is a great metaphor) just emphasizes the fact that different writers work in different ways!

Congratulations on Silver Wings - sounds like something I should get hold of. I've just started trying to write steampunk and I'm looking for models.

Leigh Ellwood said...

Thanks! I suppose I am evolutionary writer - I adapt to my situations. :)

Sloane Taylor said...

I applaud your dedication and ability, Leigh, with a ton of envy thrown in, too.:)

Congratulations on all your success!

Post a Comment